New Kitten And Old Former Stray

gabysmodernlife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, about a year ago we took in a stray cat after we bought our first house. She was from our old apartment complex. The vet estimated she is about 7 years old (8 now) and she was pretty beat up. She has arthritis in her hip from fighting and she had to get 8 teeth pulled! We are not sure if she was someone's pet left behind or what. She is pretty friendly with people with the occasional bat or nip when you dont pet her right. But she is a good kitty and adjusted to indoor cat life pretty well. About a month ago we adopted a 5 month old kitten. We kept her in a different room, fed them together, playtime together all of that. But The older cat, Charlie, still hisses at her a lot. Way more than i thought she wold after a month. She knows her scent, and when they eat together its pretty smooth. no fighting or anything. but sometimes, Charlie will just charge her. Luckily the kitten, Sprinkles, isn't scare of her and doesn't behave like prey. In fact she is a little too brave and will stalk Charlie sometimes. I understand when she annoys Charlie she'll get smacked or hissed at but last night Charlie just went at her when Sprinkles was just laying there and we had to break it up. She hasn't hurt Sprinkles or anything but i'm just worried at how long it's taking her to adjust. Anyone have any advice???

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You might have to take a couple of steps back in the introduction process, and then proceed again from there. A month's worth of introductions is not a lot of time, especially when it involves an older cat. Perhaps some of the introduction process was a little too rushed for Charlie?

Also, consider if it is possible that Charlie isn't feeling well, as that can cause some cats to become a bit more aggressive with another cat (or, humans, for that matter). If Charlie hasn't recently had a complete check up, you might want to think about setting one up. Also, with Charlie being 8, ask the vet if it is time to start full senior check ups - they are a bit more extensive and involve more inclusive blood work as well.

See if anything in these TCS articles can help you find the right adjustments to make to their introductions. And, remember, you can only go through the steps as fast at the slowest-adapting cat is willing to go.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabysmodernlife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
THANKS! i do think we rushed it a little. I guess we just don't like the idea of Sprinkles being locked in a room all the time. We feel bad about her not getting to play and explore all over the house.

Charlie is well! She has had blood work and everything. She is due for her yearly checkup in August so I will be sure to get her checked out again just in case but she is eating well, sleeping well and seems to be happy unless she's starring at Sprinkles. lol.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie might never like the kitten. Older, inactive cats are often very put off by kittens and young cats, often acting scared or defensively hostile. True hostility is much rarer, especially as to true kittens, but your kitten might now be old/big enough to be seen as a non-kitten by the older cat, meaning that true hostility is becoming more and more possible by the day. Another possibility though is that the older cat is just trying to teach the young cat a lesson, getting her to stay away. However, if the older cat is charging from a considerable distance that theory is probably out.

You kind of have to make a judgment call. If the older cat is just trying to teach a lesson, its best to let them be. If you are concerned that its true hostility, then a reintroduction might be the best thing to try. I also agree a vet check couldnt hurt.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess we just don't like the idea of Sprinkles being locked in a room all the time. We feel bad about her not getting to play and explore all over the house.
One of the introduction steps is to swap spaces between the cats - that would give Sprinkles some time out of her one room, and allow for Charlie to spend some time in that room smelling Sprinkle's scent. In this scenario, it would be ideal if one person could be with each cat so neither is alone all the time they are swapping locations/places.