New cat missing

user400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently rescued a cat and he got out through our screen after 3 days , he’s an adult and previously an indoor outdoor cat , what are my chances of finding him and what can I be doing to find him. I’ve already checked my own property and left his litter box on the steps but he’s so new I’m worried that he won’t follow the scent back

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, that's one good step to take, and also if you haven't, put up posters about him and talk to your neighbors. Also, talk to the shelter/rescue he came from, he might try and find the area where he was living previously so that might be a place to look.

Don't forget to look up as you're searching, and also take a flashlight out at night, their eyes will glow.

Help! My Cat Is Lost! - TheCatSite

Post about him on Pawboost, Petco Love Lost, any local neighborhood facebook lost pets pages, Nextdoor, Pet Hub, 24Pet connect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

user400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you ! I got him from a friend of a friend situation but they live about 45 minutes from me , do you think he would still try to make his way back there ?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The inclination with cats who escape, more so with indoor/outdoor cats, is for them to attempt to 'go home'. I would contact your friend's friend and ask them to be on the lookout for him to return. Some of that depends on how long he resided at his previous location and what the circumstances were as to how he was 'rescued' by you, including what kind of relationship he had with his previous owners and perhaps other cats in that neighborhood.

I would also post flyers along the entire stretch between your home and his original home - vets, rescue groups, stores, and so on. And make sure that you include your location and his previous home's location in any postings you do online with all of the Lost & Found Pet sites.

ellen m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I BET he would come back if he'd been there three days. I agree with all of the suggestions above, and would add my own to try not to panic (easier said than done!)

Years ago, I adopted a former feral who, I found out much later, had started getting out through a hole in the deck and into all the neighbor's yards and coming back to my house from DAY ONE! I never even noticed her missing but the neighbors were seeing her around and told me later. (She was a very distinctive tiny tortie.) In other words, even after one day, she considered this home.

I bet he'll be back. Paws crossed!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure to check any low bushes nearby, and UP...trees, etc. Small, dark holes are best checked at dusk and dawn, with a flashlight. They are invaluable for catching the eye shine of cats in dark places. And, since it takes about 3 weeks for a cat's internal GPS to re-set to a new home, do contact the friend of your friend to be on the lookout for him.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, that's one good step to take, and also if you haven't, put up posters about him and talk to your neighbors. Also, talk to the shelter/rescue he came from, he might try and find the area where he was living previously so that might be a place to look.

Don't forget to look up as you're searching, and also take a flashlight out at night, their eyes will glow.

Help! My Cat Is Lost! - TheCatSite

Post about him on Pawboost, Petco Love Lost, any local neighborhood facebook lost pets pages, Nextdoor, Pet Hub, 24Pet connect.
Also vets. I was just at one today. Many photos of lost dogs and cats