new cat is reactive to every little sound.

agalle01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi!
i adopted a 1 year old black and white little lady a couple days ago. it’s my first time adopting since all of my other cats i’ve had have been strays off the street. i live in a one bedroom apt w my boyfriend and our other cat who is about 8 years old. obviously i know there is an adjustment period and they’re not going to get along right away. my resident cat hasn’t hissed or growled, literally just wanting to be her friend. but the new cat on the other hand growls at any sound he makes through the door as i try to keep them separated. i had them interact for the first time yesterday and it went good, just some hissing and growling if he got too close while she was exploring the rest of the apartment but since then, she is so reactive to any little sound. she charges the bedroom door anytime you open it, any little sound has her running at you full speed like a cop barging in. any noise results in a growl. but she lays and is so so sweet otherwise. i guess i just need advice on what to do to introduce them more, prevent a fight and hopefully ease my nerves. i got a small bite from her the other night from getting scared that she ran up on me when i was trying to get my other cat away from the door so we could sleep. i understand she’s scared and this is a lot, i just want to make it easier on everyone.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It'll just take time, when I brought my Willow home she was constantly growling at Tigger, all Tigger wanted was to have a cuddle (Tigger doesn't understand boundaries, she never has), it took a few weeks before Willow decided Tigger was a friend who didn't mean harm :catrub:

It's only been a couple of days, start swapping blankets so both get used to the smell of the other cat and gradually introduce them by sight once both seem fine with the smells :catrub::vibes:

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like new cat is afraid of getting attacked from behind. New cat thinks strange sounds could be ambush. Can't see resident cat and feels at a disadvantage. If they get along when they see each other, let them see each other more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

agalle01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like new cat is afraid of getting attacked from behind. New cat thinks strange sounds could be ambush. Can't see resident cat and feels at a disadvantage. If they get along when they see each other, let them see each other more.
i try to let them see each other when i’m home with them, just having a baby gate between them since new cat likes to swat and i’m just not ready to see if they need to hash anything out lol she lays down but will growl or hiss when he comes by and my sweet boy will just sit as close as he can without her getting pissed and take it haha

agalle01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It'll just take time, when I brought my Willow home she was constantly growling at Tigger, all Tigger wanted was to have a cuddle (Tigger doesn't understand boundaries, she never has), it took a few weeks before Willow decided Tigger was a friend who didn't mean harm :catrub:

It's only been a couple of days, start swapping blankets so both get used to the smell of the other cat and gradually introduce them by sight once both seem fine with the smells :catrub::vibes:
:hearthrob:
thank you for the response! its a big learning curve for me so i’m trying! i just hate that she’s so spooked, last night she discovered the mirror closet we have and kept jumping off the bed to patrol around me while i was trying to take my shoes off. jumping back on the bed and then immediately jumping off to walk int circles around me when i’d try to move to take them off again, it was funny but i hate to stress her out.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's pretty normal for a new cat to be reactive to new sounds in a new home.

Even people take some time to get adjusted to their new homes sounds as they settle in.

NC was ripped from everything they know and now is in a new environment with people they don't know, a cat they don't know, it smells strange, it alone strange and there's all sorts of new sounds! How frightening!

I'd recommend keeping some cat-calming music going to take the edge off and just giving your new cat time to decompress and get used to everything. If you don't already, please give them a couple of cozy boxes to put their smell on.

Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide - TheCatSite

16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite

agalle01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's pretty normal for a new cat to be reactive to new sounds in a new home.

Even people take some time to get adjusted to their new homes sounds as they settle in.

NC was ripped from everything they know and now is in a new environment with people they don't know, a cat they don't know, it smells strange, it alone strange and there's all sorts of new sounds! How frightening!

I'd recommend keeping some cat-calming music going to take the edge off and just giving your new cat time to decompress and get used to everything. If you don't already, please give them a couple of cozy boxes to put their smell on.

Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide - TheCatSite

16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite
thank you for the response! my mother in law and grandpa in law both leave the tv on for their cats when they’re not home and i always thought it was funny until now! the apartment were in has walls that are so thin so you can hear everything. i’ll definitely give that a shot.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
thank you for the response! my mother in law and grandpa in law both leave the tv on for their cats when they’re not home and i always thought it was funny until now! the apartment were in has walls that are so thin so you can hear everything. i’ll definitely give that a shot.
I've been there re: thin walled apartments! Nobel settled in over time but he was nervous at first. Then I guess he learned which types of sounds didn't come from our unit.

agalle01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi! update and much needed advice please!

i’ve been taking it day by day and trying to get her used to everything. she’s still super reactive and doesn’t ever run from anytbing that scares her,‘preferring to fight it. i had her around the resident for about 30 mins with some mild hissing but i tried to play and give lots of treats. she still hisses and runs to the bedroom door everytime we open but which i understand it’s only been a week

but this morning she put my bf in the ER after attacking him once i left for work. she had bit me in the face the night before when i patted her side gently to try and move her a little so i could get up since everytime someone moves she thinks it’s an attack. i guess my bf had a cat video on his phone and it made a noise she didn’t like and she went for him. his arms, up his shoulders, his back and chest as well as his legs are shredded. a few of the scratches had to be stitched and he’s on antibiotics.

we’re both horribly attached to her, both of us crying all morning since we don’t know what to do. i don’t trust her at all, i there than these incidents she is the sweetest most cuddly cat i’ve see . but we don’t sleep well since she’s getting up and growling at every noise she hears. i don’t want to give her to the shelter, as she’s been returned once already but i can’t live like this. we’re scared to be around her and she’s been able to jump over the baby gates we have in place since she’s scratching and tearing up my carpet to be let out. i don’t have the money right now for a behaviorist, or a vet as most of it went to the ER trip. i’ve done the feliway pheromones diffusers, she’s fed, we play with her every morning and night, lots of snuggles, she’s using the bathroom fine. i know it takes longer than a week to adjust, i realize that it’s scary and new but it’s starting to hurt. i’m at a loss here and i’m heartbroken. please help.