New cat crouching — cat loaf or something else?

LadybugsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I have a 4 year old DSH named Ladybug. I adopted her two months ago from a foster, who had been taking care of her after Ladybug was abandoned by her previous owners. She is an absolute joy and I am so lucky to have found her.

Earlier this week, I noticed she started crouching instead of sitting upright. She doesn’t seem to be in pain or discomfort, but she isn’t exactly lying down or tucking her paws underneath herself all the way. Is this just her sitting in a new way, or something to be concerned about?

Attachments

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about her sitting like that, unless she is off her food or showing signs of discomfort. I have one that sits like that often so it is probably just a new way of sitting. I have pictures of both my boy's doing it the black and white one sits that way a lot. It's a half of loaf. Lovely girl by the way.
IMG_20210506_084253.jpg
IMG_20210614_163429.jpg

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has there been anything that might scare her that you know of like another cat around, loud noises, people coming and going, parties other animals around and so on. It wouldn't hurt to get her a vet appointment if you can, but her positioning reminds me of lil bit when she's unsure or scared of something. Usually some reassurance and scratches is all she needs to relax again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LadybugsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your replies!! She’s eating as normal, so that’s good. She does spook easily, as I think her previous owners weren’t the best ((they abandoned her outside in a carrier!))

I did take her to the vet on Monday because one of her eyes seemed red and irritated. We are in LA, and I called 12+ vets before I found someone that could see her. The vet thought she may have allergies, but couldn’t tell if it may be environmental or food-related. He gave her a shot and her eye does seem less red. So maybe she’s just had a long week!

I do have another vet appointment on Tuesday I made when I thought I couldn’t get her in initially. I may still take her for a second opinion, but I feel better seeing other kitties sitting like half loaves!

Here she is sleeping now beside me :)

Attachments