Never saw this coming

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah of borg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There have been a few things that are kinda new.
I'm taking this very well, looking at it philosophically and remembering that death is not only a part of life, but that it's not nessecarily a bad one.
But I'm getting worried about my father. His life is very hard as it is, and every time we've lost a pet he takes it very hard. He wanted me to read something he wrote about Oreo and eventually I did, when I was ready.
He clearly blames himself and thinks he deserves to suffer. He thinks Oreo suffered immensley because he wasn't with us, although I personally would have felt much worse if we just sat by letting him die.
I think Oreo understood people were trying to help him, and I don't think he was lonely or afraid. I don't think the cathador really bothered him that much.
The problem is, my dad saw Oreo in the hospital before he got worse. He hated seeing Oreo with a cathedor and a neck-thing (u know, to keep them from pulling it out.) Still, I focus more on the fact that Oreo must have been in far less pain because of the treatment and pain killers, and understood that this treatment helped him feel better.
We had to take his remains home from the vet so we could bury him in our yard. My father was certainly not able to do it, and my mom wasn't looking foward to it, so the least I could do was do it myself because I knew it would't bother me too much. In a way, I felt closure when transporting his coffin to our home. It didn't belong in some freezer at the vet.
We will bury him hopefully tommorow. Fortunetly we have a spare freezer in the basement so we can take our time and get ready to bury him properly.
But I am very worried about my dad. I think I'm able to see things in a positive way, but he only sees the worst.
When he's depressed like this, he detaches himself from things. He spent all day working hard away from home today. I don't know how I can reach him safely and help him feel better.

But there is one little thing I've done and I hope it will help him as much as it helps me.
On this computer, my father saved his article in a special folder called Goodbye Oreo. I saved the first 2 pages of this thread to the folder and I really hope he sees them.

-Sarah of Borg

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarah, I'm so sorry your father is having such a difficult time coping with Oreo's untimely death. This makes it even harder on you because it is so painful watching someone we love so much in pain. You must wish you could just take all of his pain away. It sounds like your father is handling his grief the best he can right now by trying to keep busy and distracted. He seems to be working through his grief by composing the special article that he wrote. I so hope he sees Oreo's thread so he can see the loving tribute and know we realize how precious Oreo is. It's so wonderful that you are having a special burial for Oreo. You and your family are in my prayers during this painful time as you each seek to cope with the grief so heavy in your heart.

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss of beloved Oreo. My thoughts are with you and your family especially your dad. I hope he can come to terms with this loss. We all deal with things in our own way and maybe by keeping busy and writing things down he will get through this.

stingy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor poor Oreo.
He in heven now. Happy and love you.
Your father will better soon.
He know Oreo know he love him.
He only miss Oreo.
Oreo very beutiful cat.