Need your help/advice ASAP!

bonbon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new here but I need your help and advice.

I have a 15 year old calico, long hair named BonBon. Bon has a thyroid condition and takes medication and has been doing well for 3 years on it. She has been losing weight (I was also feeding her the wrong food--food for Senior and Obese Cats) she now weighs 8 pounds. Yesterday she vomitted--not unusual for cats but she doesn't vomit much. She also stopped eating (but drinks water and urinates). Took her to the Vet today and the Vet said she had a lot of stool in her so she gave her an enema and she moved her bowels. She also hydrated her with an IV and took blood. Her temp is normal and she is very alert with clear eyes. When we brought her home she immediately ate a few bites however, she has vomitted twice (the Vet told me to feed her chicken baby food) and was restless before she vomitted. She is also laying under an end table in the living room where she NEVER goes but she has finally settled down. The Vet told me to call her on Monday (today is Sat) if she hasn't eaten or pooped. My gut tells me she will be back there on Monday and I have a bad feeling about this. Any ideas or experience with the same symptoms?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has a lot of stool in her, chances are she feels lousy, like stomach ache like we do when we're constipated
and the vomiting is because when she eats, there's nowhere for the food to go into the blocked intestines, so it comes back up. Give the enema a chance to work and after she poops more, she should feel better.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because of her age, I would call the vet back and ask him what to do. You said the enema has worked for her already so she should be plenty hungry. They hide when they feel bad, and again her double digit age, her medical history would all prompt me to follow my gut and either get her to a weekend clinic or at the very least call the vet that saw her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonbon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

If she has a lot of stool in her, chances are she feels lousy, like stomach ache like we do when we're constipated
and the vomiting is because when she eats, there's nowhere for the food to go into the blocked intestines, so it comes back up. Give the enema a chance to work and after she poops more, she should feel better.
Thank you Shannon!!!!! Bon is now resting my dog's fleece-layered crate and is no longer restless. I hope when we get up in the morning Bon is better. I will keep you posted. You can email me at [email protected].

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Bon Bon is ok.

My Syder had to have an enema last year and when he came back from the vet he wolfed down his food.
He did vomit once but was ok after. The vet did give me anti neusea (sp?) pills for him, so I think that helped.

Keeping my
that she is ok in the morning.

bonbon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Because of her age, I would call the vet back and ask him what to do. You said the enema has worked for her already so she should be plenty hungry. They hide when they feel bad, and again her double digit age, her medical history would all prompt me to follow my gut and either get her to a weekend clinic or at the very least call the vet that saw her.
I will give her some time to rest (she has settled down and is very comfortable) and see what her behavior is like tomorrow. If no better or worse we are off to the Emergency Vet.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have missed this, but if she hasn't had a senior panel done recently, I'd ask to have one done or at the least, get her kidney values checked. I have several elder kitties, eventually they have developed several health issues - two have both hyperthyroidism and chronic renal failure (crf).

CRF kitties are prone to nausea and vomitting - sometimes just white foam - and to constipation..so it wouldn't hurt to ask your vet to check her kidney values. At this age, honestly, I'd do so once a year.

If you are not familiar with crf and would like to read more about it, here is, imo, the best site on the web: www.felinecrf.org

bonbon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had to put BonBon to sleep today. We took her to the Vet who did x-rays--she had an enlarged heart (twice the size) and a mass in her abdomen. The Vet gave her a shot that calmed her (actually she was sleeping) and then the shot to put her at rest. She was in Bar's arms and died very peacefully. We are having her cremated and will bury her ashes in our backyard under a statue of a cat that looks just like her. She had a wonderful 15 years with us and I will miss her more than I can say.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. I truly believe we see them again some day.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that your heart is breaking right now.

I am so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet BonBon.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry about the loss of your sweet Bon Bon. Rest in peace dear kitty. You were blessed to have had such a long life with those who loved you so much.

ginnyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost Bon Bon. Happening so quickly, you didn't have much time to adjust, but at least she didn't suffer a long time. I'm sure she's joined my kitty, Candy, at the Rainbow Bridge. (I let Candy go 4 weeks ago tonight.)

Until you are joined again, rest in peace sweet Bon Bon.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss! Poor BonBon! May your happy memories bring you peace at this painful time!