Need Help With A Recipe

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would like to make this recipie but I'm unsure of one part One-Pot Creamy Chicken & Rice Is Basically Lazy Risotto

The ingredients says boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts cut into bite sized pieces. I take that to mean raw chicken. In the actual steps, the chicken is added to the rice and broth mixture, brought to a boil, and simmered for 15 minutes. Is that enough time to fully cook chicken? :headscratch: There is a comment asking if the chicken is raw or cooked when it is added to the pot but no one responded.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's plenty of time to cook "bite-sized" pieces after a boil. The smaller the pieces, the faster they cook. ;)

Looks yummy!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you could do either. If raw, I would either cut into small pieces and add, or I would just do a quick saute before adding to the rice mixture.

The recipe states boneless, skinless chicken breasts, so that means raw.

There seems to be enough time to cook the smaller pieces.
and enough liquid if using pre-cooked, to keep it moist.

Thanks for the recipe!! looks good!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I'll cut the chicken into small pieces and add them in then. Of course Leroy will want some raw chicken to eat too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok so I made the recipie for dinner. I used brown rice instead of white (it's what I had in the pantry) so it look a lot longer for the dish to cook, an hour instead of the recipie's 15 minutes with white rice. And my electric stove is super slow :angrywoman: The dish came out a bit too salty for me and slightly bland. I made a note for next time to use just 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of water instead of the 2 cups of broth and omit the 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. The cheese adds plenty of salt. Not sure how to punch up the flavor :think: Maybe a squeeze of lemon? Sauted veggies?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be even more bland if you substitute water for broth. I would pick up low-salt or no-salt broth if the recipe was too salty (or use salted broth and cut way back on the salt - easier). Some combination of sautéed onions/peppers/garlic or onions/celery/carrot always adds flavor. If you like spicy, toss in a couple serrano or jalapeno peppers with the sautee, or add 1/4 tsp of ground red (cayenne) pepper.

Squeeze of lemon, after plating up, might also be pretty darned good.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also probably have pre-cooked the brown rice in the broth until al dente before adding the other ingredients. I hardly use brown rice anymore because it takes so long and the timing can be fussy.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did use low sodium chicken broth. I should mention that I have no tolerance for salty foods. Salt is :barfgreen: to me.

I looked at the rice selection at the supermarket but wasn't sure if parboiled rice would work for the recipie. I didn't want mush. The only regular white rice was in the huge bags and that's way too much for me.

Spice is probably what the dish needs. I'll try a mix of hot peppers and veggies next time.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
White rice has a shelf life of 4 to 10 years. Brown rice's shelf life is around 6 months. That's another reason I stopped trying to use it. By the time I was up to the challenge of trying to "get it right", it always had gone rancid on me.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
In the instructions, she says: "Have leftover chicken or even deli ham or turkey? Use that instead of raw chicken, and just stir it in with the cheddar cheese to heat through." So yeah, the chicken would be raw, but in smaller pieces, it will cook OK. If you want, though, leftover chicken would work well here, too. The casserole would be a nice way to use leftovers.

Keep your rice in the fridge. I store rice, bulger, etc in the fridge in a lock 'n lock container.

This casserole looks delicious, LTS3 LTS3 . I always have an assortment of chopped peppers in the freezer and I would have sauteed a handful of peppers and an extra clove or two of garlic with the onion. Do you have poultry seasoning on hand? How about some basil or oregano? Marjoram? Maybe just a teensy bit of sweet curry? Instead of the cheddar, you could use another kind of cheese, maybe something with a bit more flavor? Some Monterey Jack? Or Pepper Jack?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add a bit more garlic, and perhaps some cayenne pepper. Or hot sauce. I think make it with either Parmesan or Romano cheese would be good also.
Maybe some celery? Use extra freshly ground black pepper..

Yes, sautéing the veggies a bit would add more flavor; plus the olive oil would give a bit of kick..

Or even a few shallots.

My stand by seasoning is Oregano. I add it to a bunch of stuff.

Or if you have some leftover white wine, that would be a good supplement to the chicken stock.

There are a ton of things you could do to this recipe.. even add some chopped tomatoes...or part of a small can of whole peeled tomatoes which you have crushed down a bit.

The variations on this are endless... go for broke.. pick a few and add..

If you do have leftovers, you can always saute some veggies and mix in.

A dab of butter does not hurt, either....

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I acutally used shallots instead of the onion. I don't like onions but like shallots. Weird :dunno:

I don't drink so I never have wine around. If a recipie calls for wine, I substitute something else in.

I dont't think I have poultry seasoning but I do know I have oregano, parsley, thyme, basil, and rosemary. And there's miscellaneous other ones like garlic powder, onion powder, a Mrs. Dash blend. I had hot curry at one point but I don't think I have it anymore.

Sauteed veggies added to the rice near the end would be nice. I usually stick to easy to cook ones like carrots, corn, peas, beans, mushrooms, etc.

I like cheddar but I don't think it's the best choice for the dish. Maybe because it was sharp cheddar? A mild one might work better or a different cheese.