Need Help! I have 2 kittens under my shed.

Viviana218

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 playful kittens living under my shed. I am feeding them but, I cant keep them I have a dog and my son is allergic. I would like to trap and neuter them. I don't know who, how or where I can get help with this before it gets colder out for them. I would appreciate any insite/information on where I could get help with doing this. Thank you.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome. Can you share your country and/or region? The closer to where you are you share the more exact recommendations we can provide but don't share more then you are comfortable with. You can also try searching for your city name with cat rescue or rescue group to see if there are local resources.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Viviana218

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Long Island, Nassau County, New York

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just googled your area and found this Cat Rescue: Long Island Feline Adoption Center
I have no personal Knowledge of your area but it sounds like these folks are wiling to help. I would at least give them a phone call and find out what they can and can't do. Best ..............

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad you found us! This site has all kinds of people with all kinds of experience in just about every cat situation you can think of!

I'm not in your area - - but poking around on Google is a good way to start. Also - you mention you've got a dog, so I'm sure you have a veterinarian. Call in and tell the person answering the phone (often a vet tech) about your situation - - see if they have any suggestions on where they could be taken/who's taking in kittens right now (they are still kittens, right?). Kitten season was SOOO long this year (it's typically well over by now) - - but I know most shelters in my area (the midwest) never really stopped seeing a MUCH larger steady supply of kittens. :frown: So many shelters who often are more then happy to take in kittens this time of year are more full then usual. But don't get discouraged - just keep calling! And it's far better to try to get them into a no-kill shelter. Also check with spay/neuter facilities - - even though they don't technically run adoption facilities, if they have space, some will try to find homes for people in situations like yours.

They don't sound feral - - or are you the only person who can touch them? Can you pick them up to get them into a carrier to take to a shelter? Either way - - keep handling them as much as possible - the friendlier they are, the more likely a shelter will want to take them in. And do you know how old they are? If they're more than four months, they can make new kittens! (just what you want, right? :noway: ) So if there is a low cost spay/neuter facility, and you can't place them in a shelter right away, please consider getting them in and getting them "fixed." (it'll also make them more easy to get into a shelter - as that's one less thing they have to do to them to get them ready for adoption).

And don't forget social media! Use yours like crazy - - take lots of cute kitten pics, and ask for help in finding them a place to go (preferably a shelter -- -- doing an adoption of these two on your own can certainly be done, but check with us on here before you do that - - - many of us here have LOTS of things to watch for, etc., making that tricky situation a little more easy).

Keep us posted - - and put up some kitten pics!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FYI - meant to say - - -I did do a quick google, and came up with quite a few places that sound promising to at least speak to - because even if THEY can't take them, they may know an organization that can:

Nassau County ASPCA
Bobby and The Strays Animal Rescue
Long Island Animal Rescue Group
Pets 4 Luv Foundation

And this group sounded interesting - - they're a group of individual veterinarians who'll do low-cost spays and neuters - - so aside from possibly helping getting them fixed cheaply, they're a large group that might have alot of contacts as far as placing in a shelter!

Tender Loving Cats Feline Rescue and Rehab

Good luck - - and again - - thanks SO much for taking an interest in and DOING SOMETHING for these little ones! Winter is just around the corner, and sadly, most people would have looked the other way. Yeah for you - and year for these little ones finding a caring soul.