[need gen infor] does feeding raw food,,not give all nutrients to cat or is it harmfull??

sam837

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
frm start i feed my cat raw beef meat,,

n milk,, now she only eat that ,,, recently tried to change on whiskas but no avail..

so wat i  want to know is,,,feeding raw meat is good or bad?

n raw meat give al nutrients its need ??

n if not,, how to change frm raw to commercial food?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, meat alone certainly does not provide all a cat needs. Does your kitty eat only beef meat and milk now? For how long? Does she have soft stool? Many adult cats are lactose intolerant, and milk does not provide the calcium they need.

To feed raw properly, you need to balance meat with bone (cats need small bones, like the last two sections of the chicken wing, or cornish hen wings or ribs) and organs. The rule of thumb is 80% meat / 10% bone / 5% liver / 5% other secreting organ. This is typically balanced over the course of a week. Also, because of the methods used to feed the animals we use for meat, it's typically recommended to include an omega 3 supplement. Many people use canned sardines (water, no salt), and feed it as a "treat" (not a meal), several times a week (one or two sardines, depending on the size. The rest can be put in a plastic container or baggie to freeze and serve later. :) ).

Hearts are not another secreting organ. They make a great meal, and are packed with taurine, which cats MUST have, but they're a muscle organ, so treated like a muscle meat.

Also, it's best to rotate 3 - 5 proteins. And within the proteins, it's best to rotate the cut of meat - chicken thigh and chicken breast, turkey thigh and turkey breast, etc. One source of protein will not provide all the nutrition your cat needs.

You need to do a little learning, and the resource thread is a good place to start! :) http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240809/raw-feeding-resource-thread

Last edited: