Need advice about moving with cats

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! Ok so I need some advice. My family and I are moving out of state- basically across the country- in the next couple of months. We’re planning to move into a place with a lot of acreage- right now we live in the city with a smallish yard.

So, my question is I’m not sure what’s in their best interest. I can’t imagine not taking my cats, but I want to make sure we make the best decision for them.
I’m really worried about adjusting them to a new place. Pants is a former semi-feral and is extremely skiddish. He’s gotten used to my family and our house and is such a sweetheart, but I’m worried moving him will regress all of the progress he’s made.

the other problem is that my mom will not hear of bringing them indoors. She is immovable on this 😭 I know that keeping cats contained is very helpful when adjusting them to a new house, and of course it’s just generally way safer for cats to be indoors, but that’s unfortunately out of the question right now. (The only loophole is keeping them in a barn or something like that.)

Sorry this is long winded! I just want to make sure I include the important details.thanks in advance:hugs:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your cats currently outdoor cats? If not, I'd be very concerned. Regardless, I would highly suggest containing them in some capacity so they can adjust.

I moved from a 400 sq ft apartment to a house in 2020 with two cats. One of them is very attached to me, the other is semi-feral and hates being touched. After moving, it felt like my semi-feral actually opened up more and was more comfortable with me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your cats currently outdoor cats? If not, I'd be very concerned. Regardless, I would highly suggest containing them in some capacity so they can adjust.

I moved from a 400 sq ft apartment to a house in 2020 with two cats. One of them is very attached to me, the other is semi-feral and hates being touched. After moving, it felt like my semi-feral actually opened up more and was more comfortable with me.
Yes, they’re both outdoor right now. That’s encouraging to hear about your cats, thanks!

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Barn cats often thrive so do some research on the area and also find out what your land already has on it, like maybe a shed or a way to build a catio in the barn. I’m sure others will be along to help with ideas to help make the transition a smooth one. :catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its been crazy busy, but I have a belated update!

Cats are doing well! Pants is still pretty skittish but he’s adjusting way better than I thought he would. Thankfully we’ve been able to keep them in the garage for now. Eden has taken to sitting on the windowsill pretty much permanently:lol: it’s her new spot. She’s a little nervous about the whole situation but I think she’s getting better.
Willow seems pretty much unphased, thankfully!

we also brought two bunnies and a dog, all of whom are doing great! I’m not sure if some of you remember fisher, but he is living his best life. His favorite thing is going up and down stairs lol.
I haven’t been able to get many pictures of the animals, but I’ll try to post some soon!