Nature's Logic cat food = no added taurine?

shadowbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is the ingredients list:
Chicken Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat, Montmorillonite, Brewerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Yeast, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Spray Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkin Seed, Animal Plasma, Kelp, Natural Flavor, Cottage Cheese, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Egg Shell, Avocado, Chicory Root, Tomato Powder, Almonds, Spray Dried Cod Liver Oil, Apple Powder, Blueberry, Apricots, Carrots, Pumpkin, Cranberry, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Artichoke, Rosemary, Fermentation Products (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Bifidobacterium Bifidium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Sporogenes Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Enzymes (Amylase, Protease, Lipase, Cellulase, Bromelain), Mixed Tocopherols.

I'm guessing since they don't use any synthetic vitamins at all, that taurine must be found in sufficient quantities in the ingredients in there food but was wondering if anyone has actually fed this to their cats.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewwww. Animal plasma? That's pretty gnarly.

If the label says that it meets the aafco standards, it should have "enough" taurine in it. Dry food should have .1% and wet food .2%, but many other brands have more. It may have these without adding anything, I don't know. The brand's "nutritional supplement" doesn't have and added anything either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
animal plasma doesn't seem gross to me.. in the wild they'd be getting the blood too :p

shadowbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
According to their website, that has to do with the AAFCO labelling requirements and not the actual nutritional value of their food.. dunno though

shadowbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually now that I've read it thoroughly, they do exceed the aafco for taurine, and are currently under going feeding trials to be able to change their labelling...

Now I'm just wondering if anyone has fed this? :p My girls are on Nature's variety at the moment (didn't do well on innova/evo/CN). Mainly it's my one girl with bad dandruff problems and scooting issues (no worms, no health issues aside from possibly dietary). They don't really like the taste of the NV for whatever reason though, so it's time to look and see if I can find something more palatable. It's either this or possibly Serengeti or whatever it's called.

murfins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you are talking about Timberwolf's Serengeti - I switched to that just under a year ago and my cat has never looked better and in fact it is the only food that I've been able to get her to lose some weight on. My new cat, has been on it for about a month now and he had horrible skin/fur and needed to gain some weight (he's 15) and he is doing fantastic on it and I can noticeably see an improvement in him in the short time already.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ShadowBaby

Here is the ingredients list:
Chicken Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat, Montmorillonite, Brewerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Yeast, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Spray Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkin Seed, Animal Plasma, Kelp, Natural Flavor, Cottage Cheese, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Egg Shell, Avocado, Chicory Root, Tomato Powder, Almonds, Spray Dried Cod Liver Oil, Apple Powder, Blueberry, Apricots, Carrots, Pumpkin, Cranberry, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Artichoke, Rosemary, Fermentation Products (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Bifidobacterium Bifidium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Sporogenes Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Enzymes (Amylase, Protease, Lipase, Cellulase, Bromelain), Mixed Tocopherols.

I'm guessing since they don't use any synthetic vitamins at all, that taurine must be found in sufficient quantities in the ingredients in there food but was wondering if anyone has actually fed this to their cats.
This looks okay if it is a raw formulation but in dry food ... it is far from what I like to see... Taurine may be enough via the meats...
I know a few use the Timberwolfs and they look good but grainy...

shadowbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah well raw isn't happening in this lifetime :p Shadow won't even eat wet food.. hell I can't even get her to eat freeze dried treats.

When I say she won't eat wet food, I mean she won't even eat her dry food if the wet food is within 2 ft of her dish