My Sister Got A 9 Weeks Kitten From Feral Parents.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sister recently got a kitten from feral parents that were usually outside. She is having problems with the kitten being too hyper and bitting all the time. She is just a fire ball. My sister is trying her best to civilize it, but the kitten continue scratching, bitting, meowing, and hissing. No matter how much my sister babies it. She's afraid when the cat gets old, she'll be dangerous and destructive. We think the father was Siamese. Any suggestions?

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At 9 weeks old, the kitten should be easily socialized within a short time. But you have to start the process immediately, as the window for easy socialization closes around 12 weeks. The kitten should be confined in a small room (bathroom) or a large crate. Stage 2 Gerber's chicken and gravy baby food is a great way to get the kitten used to human hands. Offer her some on a plastic spoon and once you've hooked her on the baby food, switch to offering it on your finger. Try to stay on her "level" i.e. lay on the floor (Don't bend over her!) Don't stare or look directly at her. Talk softly and slow blink. Once she is comfortable eating the baby food, you can began to start touching her. At that point if interested, I'll ,and am sure others more experienced than I am, will offer further advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advise. I told her usually pedigrees are more docile and trainable cats, with the exception of Siamese that tend to be loud and too energetic.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advise. I told her usually pedigrees are more docile and trainable cats, with the exception of Siamese that tend to be loud and too energetic.
Not necessarily. Many breeds such as Bengals and the Oriental types are very active and noisy, and Bengals often end up in shelters due to being destructive :/. Some breeds are selected for docility, but breed traits aren't well set in most cat breeds. Now, home-raised kittens are often better housepets, and purebreds are almost always home-raised. So that does make a difference, but not due to being purebred.

You say that the parent cats are feral and "usually outside"? Are they ever inside? If they are they probably aren't feral. What are the parent cats like? Do they let people pet them, do they seek affection, etc.? How was the kitten raised? That makes a difference in what my advice is.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know a lot about pedigree cats, but my feral born is extremely gentle (well, with me - her toys are a different story), and that's just her personality.

I'm glad your sister is trying to rescue this kitten. I don't have any great advice, since most of Lelia's socialization was done before I got her, but getting her to associate your sister with food is a great bonding method. And wand toys. Toys in general.

Idk, sorry to not be super helpful.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found a 2mnth old kitten in my backyard. Feral kittens can be lunatics, so don't think you're doing something wrong. A lot of people on this site have not experienced the lunacy of a feral kitten and will give you advice that applies to "store bought" kittens.
Be firm and clear with commands, use the same terminology as often as possible. Do reading on discipline now so you have techniques ready to go now so you're not trying to figure things out ad-hoc. Some on here will tell you not to discipline as it is not the best training technique. That is correct but with feral kittens it's a handy "last resort".
My 2yo has calmed now but was a lunatic kitten and a defiant "teen". So my advice is read up on their site and others as much as possible now.
As for the play and biting and hissing ect. Pain thresholds and behaviour will take time to learn. Invest in toys, balls, string toys and buy small treats and reward good behaviour.
It'll work out, be patient and try to laugh at the little mental patient that are feral kittens. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!