My Recipe Tweak -- Any Reason Not To?

twylasage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Haven't been on for a while. Lots to catch up on! But question first ...

I use the recipe from catinfo for my kitties. It requires that 20 - 25% of the bone per 3 lbs. thighs be discarded. Since I principally use chicken and turkey and my grinder does not like the ginormous turkey thigh bones (I swear, Whole Foods is selling me thighs from ostriches!), I save the chicken bones I would normally discard from a batch of chicken food and substitute those for the turkey bones when I fix a batch of turkey. Is this okay? Or will repeated freezings reduce the nutritional value of the bones? If yes, is there any way I can supplement my recipe to compensate for that loss?

Many thanks to my raw food gurus!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome back!

First let me say I feed frankenprey, not home made ground (I HATE to cook).  But Ritz is prone to constipation so I fed the low end of the recommended percentage.  As such I have to freeze excess bone from quail and rabbit.  I  don't believe repeated freezings would reduce the nutritional value of the bone, which is largely calcium/phosphorus.  Hopefully other more knowledgeable people will chime in.

PS:  got any friends who have dogs who might like a meaty treat?  I take care of a feral cat colony, and my colony gets Ritz' rejects and excess bone.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really know, but I agree with Ritz. Being minerals, not water soluble vitamins, I can't see that the refreezing of the bones would have much of an impact - if any.