My Name is Kira and This is My Story

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was cold and wet outside and my owner held me tightly. I shivered with the cold and wet - and also fear. I was only an 8 month old kitten. I saw a lady approach with a cat carrier. I tried hard to get away but the man held me tightly by the scruff of my neck. His girlfriend took the cat carrier from the lady and he quickly put me inside.

The lady asked what my name was. They didn't know because I didn't have a name. I was That f*****g Cat! The girlfriend made up a name I'd never heard before. She said my name was Missy. The lady seemed suspicious and said she wanted to talk to them out of the rain so we went into the hallway of the house. The man told the lady one story. His girlfriend told another. He let it slip that the RSPCA had been involved with me and had given him flea stuff that he never used. I could tell from the way the lady spoke she didn't believe one word of what they said. Soon we left and went into a car. I was so scared. What was to become of me?

The lady spoke kindly to me and tried to calm me. We went into the lady's house. There a young man greeted us. He sounded kind but I was still so scared. They took me out of the cat carrier and the lady gasped in shock as she saw the state I was in. I was covered in sores, my fur was so thin you could see my skin through it and I had a sore shoulder. I was also very underweight and the lady said she could feel my bones. They let me settle a bit then gave me some food which I gulped down. She gave me a name - Kira.

Next day I was put back in the cat carrier and went somewhere I'd never been before - the vet. The vet said I had fleas and a belly full of worms so gave the lady medication. I was given a pill to kill the fleas and soothe my skin. The lady told the vet she was concerned that I had a runny eye but I'm a very clean cat and I'd washed my face.

The vet said I was extremely underweight and was very concerned about me. It was agreed I would go back for a checkup in a week or so. Two days later I felt very unwell. My nose was all stuffy and runny and my eyes were crusting and watery. The lady phoned for an emergency appointment so we went back to the vet. I was given something called antibiotics which made me feel better in a few days.

I didn't trust these humans but I told them in my own way what had happened to me. I kept a distance and if the humans came too close, I would hiss and growl at them but I never tried to scratch or bite them. I was good about taking my medicine though and let the lady bathe my eyes.

The lady noticed I had difficulty jumping up on the sofa. She said she thought I'd been kept for long periods of time in a cat carrier and my back legs were very weak. One day just after the litter box had been cleaned, I started to use it. At the same time, the lady came into the room. I flung myself flat on the litter box, my legs making an X and tried to hide my head under the rim. You see, when I was with my owner he would get angry because I'd soiled the cat carrier he kept me in so threw me against the wall. That is why my shoulder was sore.

The lady said "So that's why you're so scared and why you're so sore". Then she said "You're not going anywhere. You're staying here". Her voice was breaking as she said it.

Later I heard her telling the man what she thought had happened to me and that I would be staying. He agreed. The man is the lady's son. He would feed me and I began to trust him and the lady but still I tried to keep a distance. The other cats had accepted me. I had several more visits to the vet and I did have another problem. I hadn't been spayed. After 3 months the vet said I was strong and well enough to be spayed. I was coming into heat every other day which was so frustrating for me and for the humans because I kept meowing loudly for a mate.

Again I went to the vet. The vet put a needle in my leg and I fell asleep. When I woke up the strange feelings and frustration I had was gone. The lady came and took me what was now my home - and I'd been microchipped to prove it.

Still, I didn't fully trust these humans.

Then, one day the man and the lady went out and came back with cat food, treats and something special for me. The lady held out a collar with a pretty bow attached and said "This is for you Kira". I couldn't believe it. Something for me? I put my head forward so the lady could put the collar on. It felt so good and I was so proud. I looked at the lady - now my human Mum and purred as loud as I could. It was the first time she'd heard me purring. She picked me up and cuddled me. I responded by rubbing my face on hers.

I went from strength to strength, my back legs grew stronger and I could jump as high as I wanted. Five years later and I am a sleek black house panther but still small for my age because of the bad start I had to life. I didn't get a kittenhood so I made up for it.

My favourite trick is when my Mum makes sounds on this big, black thing she calls a piano, I like to help her turn the page by knocking the books off the stand. It's great fun. I also like when she uses the metronome. I stop the pendulum with my paw. She just laughs at my tricks. At night I like to curl up with my Mum and the other cats. It is so warm, cosy and comforting.

Every day my Mum says "Love you Kira" and I love her back.

This is me when I got the collar. Don't I look pretty?

Me talking now. This was Kira's story. Of all the cats I've rescued over the years, she was in the worst state of all of them. There are times when she had cat 'flu I didn't think she'd make it but she did. She turned from being an abused, frightened little thing to an outgoing, happy cat, full of mischief. It would seem that the "owner" got rid of her before the RSPCA made a second call. Surrendering her was the only decent thing he did for her. She is now a much loved member of my family who follows me all over the house. She wore out that collar so we got her another one with a diamonte bow at the front. It is also wearing out now so she will soon be getting a new one.
Kira2.png

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
She is. Not only is she a very pretty cat but also a very loving cat. How anyone could have treated her cruelly is beyond me but I believe in Karma and Karma has very sharp teeth and claws and she always pays back.
Kira is indeed beautiful, but I meant you as well. :)

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, I'm a sucker for a sad story with a happy ending. What a beautiful house panther Kira is. And what a wonderful person you are to nurse her back to health and give her a loving forever home. Your right karma will catch up with her abusers, and I hope she bites real hard. :purr:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am SO happy for that precious little one,! She is one of the lucky ones, most get dumped somewhere and end up trying desperately to survive, or worse.
Every little life I make a little better brings such satisfaction, such happiness, I will try until the day I die. Thank you for a happy ending, dear Kira, you are so loved.......