My little one with CKD stopped eating and seems lost..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EllaKen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more question, if you don't mind me asking. Although I will be asking my vet tomorrow I'd like to know beforehand.

I've read that appetite stimulant should be used when the appetite is down (max like a week or so) so it is something you mustn't provide to your pet for life, is this the same case for the anti-nausea med? Or am I totally wrong here?

For example Pronefra is a lifetime supplement..

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I seldom had nausea issues with my CKD kitties (2 of them) that required medication. My biggest issue was keeping them pooping daily. I gave pumpkin and wet food with water added to help keep things moving. My second CKD kitty got a supplement from Standard Process and did very well on it.

Anti-nausea meds aren't meant for life, but many CKD kitties do well on a daily dose. Appetite stimulants are definitely short-term.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
CKD cats often require an appetite stimulant and an anti-nausea med for the rest of their lifetimes. Mirataz is recommended by the pharm company to be used no more than 14 days, but I know many CKD cats, including my own, who have been on it much, much longer than that. However, the dosage is variable based on the cat's needs. It is a trial-and-error sort of thing. Currently, Feeby gets 1/2 dose of MIrataz about every three days.

Anti-nausea can also be tricky. Personally speaking, I have a tough time getting Feeby to take ondansetron and so she gets that intermittently. There are some anti-emetic properties in Mirataz, so maybe that is enough for Feeby. Perhaps it might be true of your cat too, but it seems a lot of folks give both routinely. I would have it on hand, and experiment with both. Your vet might not appreciate what I am saying, but neither med is a 'take this xx times a day/week/etc'. without some testing what your cat needs.

Also, find out what other anti-meds might be available - not all work well on all cats.

It all really is a testing thing with CKD cats. For example - knock on wood - even though I give Feeby a phosphorus binder, her stools are normal and regular, even though some cats have hard stool/constipation issues. She gets nothing in the way of making her bowel movements better, as she doesn't - so far - need it. As I said, it all depends on each cat individually.

Last edited:

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I showed the video to the vet today and then he examined her and said the mouth/teeth looks fine. It doesn't seem fine though. Unless this is something related to nausea?

I read all the ingredients to avoid the garlic and onion before buying it. I didn't find any meat only baby food though. Will search for more tomorrow.
One of the signs of nausea in cats is drooling and excessive lip licking, if your cat is nauseous the action you see with the mouth may be her way of dealing with excess saliva, if she stops the action after the anti nausea med then I think you can attribute the mouth actions to nausea.