My little girl Layla

ericapaige85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this is my first post.

I adopted my kitty Layla in February from a no-kill shelter.  She was there for her whole life minus a few weeks - two years!  She was hard to adopt out because she has Keratoconjunctivits Sicca (congenital) and needs her eyes cleaned every day and some drops that cost like $40 a month.  I felt for her and wanted her to have a great home.  Her eyes are doing great now but as you can see in pictures, she keeps them closed when she's hanging out.  She's very frisky though and plays a lot and her vision seems fine (she does have some tear stains that are chronic but it doesn't seem to be affecting her vision - yet?).  She's super sweet and pretty smart - likes to cuddle and have her tummy rubbed. :)

Anyhow, she is a DSH mix, weighs about 8lbs (which seems ideal) and her eyes are on the green side of yellow/green.  She is a "blue" cat but has some interesting orange in her face and paws, and I wonder if that's indicative of any breed?  Just for curiosity's sake.  Here she is!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is not any clear cut look alike.  So I think is, best not to compare and speculate too much here.

Why change a very nice, pretty and nice domestic  into some sort of  pet quality & faulty Korat- look alike??  Nay, keep up Laylas pride, and be happy about your sweet  moggie, Erica.

Tx for helping this little sis of ours!

Welcome to our Forums

and

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericapaige85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very happy about her :)  We had some rough going at first figuring out how to clean her eyes and she was miserable (and so was I), but we got it sorted (between me taking my bed off the frame so she couldn't hide from me giving her drops and a $300 vet bill for tests!) and now she is a super happy cat :)  Thanks for your input!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, sweet girl. She's so lucky you adopted her and have given her a good home.
She's an interesting colour mix, but no particular breed. She does look like a little lioness in your avatar though!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Yeah I don't think she looks much like any particular breed.   so probably like the vast majority she is a wonderful Moggy. 

The orange bits are interesting.     She could actually be a blue tortie,  but just very predominantly blue.   

Or those orangeish patches could be due to "rufus"  polygenes.   

Or,  if it looks like mostly on the face and paw (?), it could be some staining related to the tears/ eye discharge or the medicine ?   Something like that could end up on paw since they wipe their face.  could possibly even end up on another part of them that touches the eye area when they curl up. 

I am SO happy for her that you came along and she got a real home.   I know how it is hard to adopt out cats who have some health problem. 

I'm glad  you managed to overcome the difficulty in giving her drops and gained her trust.    ( believe me I can relate,  having  adopted a cat with a history of abuse, and still had a very hard time trusting humans, and he was already getting an eye infection by the time i got him home,so I had to give him medicine in his eyes....   I practically had to wear a bite suit.    !      but  6 months later people said they hardly knew it was the same cat,  he was so much happier and less scared. )

Hugs to Miss Layla.    I can't help but think of the song when I see that name with that spelling. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericapaige85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks maewkeaw.

That's a good point about the eye medicine/discharge causing the discoloring... I didn't think of that!  I think that's very possible.

Luckily I don't have to worry about bites... she's never tried to bite me, except during play fighting which is very much play.  She doesn't scratch, either; she did sometimes got me by scrambling to try to get away, but she's never actually attacked me in any way.  She's so sweet.  Now that she's used to the drops, she does try to get away while she's on the ground but once I get her in the "position" (basically I just hold her and tilt her head up) she doesn't fight anymore.

She does this thing when she's sleepy/sleeping where she lays on her back or side and grabs my arm and won't let it go... just hugs it.  It's like the best feeling in the world when she does it :)

Thanks for your help everyone.