My kitties turn for a Raw conversion!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ivycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on the kitties! So for Saturday and Sunday everyone ate their raw meals. Then, Monday morning, Aslan snubbed his Turkey. :( I ended up splitting his food between the other two guys, hoping that he'd be hungry enough to eat by dinner time - but snubbed again! Luckily we have a box of Fortiflora for our resident elderly gentleman. I turned Aslan's food into soup, and added half a packet of Fortiflora - he ate it up.

I have to admit I was avoiding the Fortiflora, I don't like the idea of them becoming addicted to things like that.
Again this morning I had to add it to his food, and if I don't turn his food to soup, he just licks all the meat without actually EATING any of it! I've gotten my Turkey all mixed up with my Chicken so I have no clue if he just hates Turkey or both. Darn stubborn cats!

Good news though! Bought some chicken breasts and he snatched that up ASAP, gnawing into it while growling. So maybe he just hates the ground texture... (please no please no!  SO not ready to go into chunks!!!
)
I am not sure how much your freezer can handle, but the more you order at HT, the less per pound your shipping will be - just keep that in mind..... Probiotics is very very important...... I pay $22 I think for 180 capsules. You can get some from Target or walmart - just make sure it is 100Billion CFU, and capsules (not tablets) with nothing else added
But you really want to give them that.....

Well I went to Walmart yesterday. At best they had 30 capsules for 20+ dollars!
Half of them had added vitamins, and other junk too. Did you mean 10Billion CFU? The best one I saw had 15Billion but it wasn't a powder capsule (and way over priced!). I remember seeing these on another thread, 10Billion, and $22 for 180 pills - whatcha think?

I did find some awesome fish oil though! Probably the best I've found, not online. 256 DHA and a little over 600 EPA per pill, 16 dollars for 120. If only the EPA and DHA numbers were switched I'd have found the holy grail! I can't wait for the day Omega 3 pills are regulated.. All I ask is for a pill with 1000mg of both DHA and EPA... that isn't asking too much is it!?
I haven't mixed it into their food yet... I just hope they won't snub it!
Quote:Originally Posted by Carolina  This is why a feeding schedule and a routine is SO important - I guarantee you two things: 1- It will not get better until you establish a schedule and a routine; and 2- they get used to it very very quickly! YOU, the momma, just need to be strong!!

I don't think they agree!! I'm trying 10am/10pm schedule.. I've resorted to locking myself into my room all day so they can't tell me how mean I am!
Entering the kitchen is a DEATH SENTENCE!! Day 2 on the schedule.. I think I finally get all the hubbub over new mom's and crying babies at night.. MUST..NOT..GIVE..IN!!! 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on the kitties! So for Saturday and Sunday everyone ate their raw meals. Then, Monday morning, Aslan snubbed his Turkey. :( I ended up splitting his food between the other two guys, hoping that he'd be hungry enough to eat by dinner time - but snubbed again! Luckily we have a box of Fortiflora for our resident elderly gentleman. I turned Aslan's food into soup, and added half a packet of Fortiflora - he ate it up. :D

I have to admit I was avoiding the Fortiflora, I don't like the idea of them becoming addicted to things like that. :bat: Again this morning I had to add it to his food, and if I don't turn his food to soup, he just licks all the meat without actually EATING any of it! I've gotten my Turkey all mixed up with my Chicken so I have no clue if he just hates Turkey or both. Darn stubborn cats! Hope you are not mixing the Fortiflora in..... Just tap tap tap on the package so you dust it on the top of the food very lightly - just to Frotifly :flail: - yep - it sucks, but sure it works..... from there you work to healthier things, like Whole Life chicken Powder :nod: 100% pure chicken goodness and guilt free :nod: Lucky only eats her raw with it - well..... works for her, works for me :nod:

Good news though! Bought some chicken breasts and he snatched that up ASAP, gnawing into it while growling. So maybe he just hates the ground texture... (please no please no!  SO not ready to go into chunks!!! :dash: ) :flail: Have seen this movie before MANY time :crackup: Happened like a hurricane in my house! There was no turning back from this point - which was a-ok, as it is SO much cheaper! :clap::clap::clap:

Well I went to Walmart yesterday. At best they had 30 capsules for 20+ dollars! :doh3: Half of them had added vitamins, and other junk too. Did you mean 10Billion CFU? The best one I saw had 15Billion but it wasn't a powder capsule (and way over priced!). I remember seeing these

on another thread, 10Billion, and $22 for 180 pills - whatcha think? :doh3: I meant 10Billion! Yep - this IS the one Laurie and I give, and it is PERFECT!!! Awesome stuff, and great on the pocket!! :clap::clap::clap:

I did find some awesome fish oil though! Probably the best I've found, not online. 256 DHA and a little over 600 EPA per pill, 16 dollars for 120. If only the EPA and DHA numbers were switched I'd have found the holy grail! I can't wait for the day Omega 3 pills are regulated.. All I ask is for a pill with 1000mg of both DHA and EPA... that isn't asking too much is it!? :sniffle: I haven't mixed it into their food yet... I just hope they won't snub it! IMHO the Holly Grail is Krill - doesn't give Bugsy diarrhea, it is super powerful, and all my cats love it :nod: Expensive though..... Now Brand (on amazon) is more affordable than the others, and easier to dispense also, as it is soft gel :nod:

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: I don't think they agree!! I'm trying 10am/10pm schedule.. I've resorted to locking myself into my room all day so they can't tell me how mean I am! :sniffle: Entering the kitchen is a DEATH SENTENCE!! Day 2 on the schedule.. I think I finally get all the hubbub over new mom's and crying babies at night.. MUST..NOT..GIVE..IN!!! :sobbing:
Uh-oh..... can you do 3 meals? one in the am, one in the pm, and one before going to bed?
Here is my schedule:
right before 9am (before work)
around 6pm (after work)
11:30pm-12am (late night dinner - before bed)

All meals are the same size.....
:alright: It's going to be alright.........
:hugs:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Uh-oh..... can you do 3 meals? one in the am, one in the pm, and one before going to bed?
Here is my schedule:
right before 9am (before work)
around 6pm (after work)
11:30pm-12am (late night dinner - before bed)

All meals are the same size.....
:alright: It's going to be alright.........
:hugs:
:yeah: :hugs:

I also feed three meals a day, and this works really well. And mine used to free feed kibble. :eek:

I feed at 8:30am, 5:30pm, and somewhere around 10:30pm - 11:00pm.

The transition isn't easy, but once ON the schedule, everyone's happy!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: I don't think they agree!! I'm trying 10am/10pm schedule.. I've resorted to locking myself into my room all day so they can't tell me how mean I am! :sniffle: Entering the kitchen is a DEATH SENTENCE!! Day 2 on the schedule.. I think I finally get all the hubbub over new mom's and crying babies at night.. MUST..NOT..GIVE..IN!!! :sobbing:
In addition to going to three meals a day as the others advise (and I agree), instead of shutting yourself away from them, play with them. Groom them. Give them attention. Often cats beg and cry even when they aren't hungry, because they are bored or lonely. :)

Cats do best on routines. Routines for everything. Routines for meals, routines for interactive play time, routines for grooming time, routines for nap time. The more you put their lives on a schedule the easier it will be for all of you. :)

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do best on routines. Routines for everything. Routines for meals, routines for interactive play time, routines for grooming time, routines for nap time. The more you put their lives on a schedule the easier it will be for all of you. :)
YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! :yeah: Can't say enough YEAH to that one! :lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: And I'll third that! :lol3: We definitely do unplanned brushing and playing, but we definitely have routines for everything: meals, litter box scooping, water-dish washing/refilling, alone-time play time, alone-time brushing, before-dinner play, after-dinner play, pets at bed time... I think maybe it's because our latest additions were older feral rescues, and part of the socialization process is doing EVERYTHING on a schedule. It's just a habit we developed from the earlier days of all that fostering, too, I think... :dk: I just know they really groove on routine. They USED to groove on the "filling up the bowl" when free-feeding; now it's meal time. :lol3:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sure, the girls and I still have plenty of spontaneity. But there are certain things that happen at certain times every single day, and they know, and wait for, those times. You should see them line up and wait for me to hit the couch after I turn off the computer and brush my teeth. :lol3: Something they have given up on tonight, as I am up so late on the computer. They've all gone to bed already.