my frankenprey menu...

quickbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I've put together my frankenprey menu based on the example from catcentric and also on what meats I can source where I live. I havent yet moved to full raw feeding as I want to make sure my menu was okay before I did! Just wondering if those experienced frankenprey feeders could let me know what they think?

Monday:

1. Lamb heart

2. chicken wing

3. duck

Tuesday:

1. Beef

2. lung and liver

3. Quail 1/2

Wednesday:

1. Lamb heart

2. chicken thigh meat and kidney

3. Turkey

Thursday:

1. pork

2. chicken wing

3. Duck

Friday:

1. Lamb

2. Lung and Liver

3. Beef

Saturday:

1. Chicken Thigh meat

2. Chicken wing

3. Pork

Sunday:

1. Beef

2. Chicken thigh meat and kidney

3. Quail 1/2

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a nice rotation of proteins! You've got the heart in there for taurine - perfect! :bigthumb: I've never fed lung, but apparently some cats love it - and it's great to have other "forms" of muscle meat in there. And you've got the liver and kidney... the bone-in meals... looks darn good to me! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just remember to feed an egg yolk about once a week, and some form of small oily fish. Many use tinned sardines in water, no salt. The egg provides needed choline, and the egg and the sardine(s) add vitamin D (and omega 3s).

Don't be surprised if you need to cut down on the bone: many feeding PMR find that the kitties actually need only about 6% - 8% bone. So just keep an eye on stool consistency, and if kitty is having a hard time passing stool, feed a little less bone.

Please keep us posted on how it goes!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Only thing I would maybe change is swap out the chicken wings a bit, either buy a whole chicken and just vary pieces or use other bone in sources.  Wings are pretty much just bone and skin, good for chewing but not much nutrition wise.  But go with what you have available as well, chicken wings for a week or two is fine, month after month might be an issue.  Oh and I"m lazy so I don't usually feed multiple proteins in a day. You are lucky to have access to so much variety and ever luckier if your cat eats it all well, mine like most is pretty picky, she won't touch lung or kidney by themselves at all.  In a mouse they are fine though. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

quickbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may sound silly...but how do I serve the egg yolk? On top of something? And raw (presumably)?

I'm struggling to find sardines in water in my area, I've only found them in olive oil so far, I guess that's no good? When I do find some do I just serve them straight out of the tin? Should they be deboned?

I know chicken ribs are okay for cats to eat, are there other bone-in parts of a chicken cats can eat too?

I have been really lucky with him, I think all in all its only taken him around a month and a half to fully transition to raw feeding - he eats it all up! Occasionally he turns his nose up at the chicken thigh meat but otherwise he gobbles it all down.

Thanks for the speedy replies, it's been so great knowing I have somewhere to go with all my questions about raw feeding! Most people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I raw feed my cat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The egg yolk can be fed raw or cooked. Some splop it in a bowl with the meal - others feed it on its own as a "treat." Some cats love it, some don't. Most of mine don't like the sticky texture: it's easier to split an egg yolk between 2 or 4 of them and mix it with water so it's soupy, not watery. It's just a matter of figuring out what works for you and your boy. :)

No need to debone the sardines, they're perfect little packages as is. The olive oil won't hurt, as long as there's no salt added - that is too much sodium. But keep looking for those packed in water. You can also feed a small amount of canned salmon instead if you can find that in water: it has omega 3s and vitamin D same as the sardines.

If he's good at chewing, you can try the chicken neck.

You can also feed cornish hens, if they're available there. They have a lot of small bones.

quickbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the egg yolk was thoroughly enjoyed raw so that's one thing ticked off the list! I just need to feed him a yolk a week, right?

Another silly question but with the sardines presumably there should be no salt listed in the ingredients? My OH bought a tin of sardines from the supermarket but salt is listed on the ingredients so I'm guessing they are no good?

The local butchers sells Cornish hens so I will definitely get some for him.

Thank you for being so helpful LDG and answering my (many) questions!

:-)

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a well rounded menu!! How far advance do you buy your meats?

quickbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy my meats around 2 weeks in advance, bag them up in the correct portions and freeze!

Still struggling to find salt free sardines though...