My Cousin's Cat Is Spraying In Apartment

catloverlady

My cat is a princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to see if there were any ideas to help my cousin out. So what recently happened is my cousin's 9 year old male Maine Coon cat started spraying around the apartment but this happened after some new tenant must have moved in close by and must have a cat. My cousin could smell cat pee in the hallway, even before his own cat started the spraying, so he's pretty sure that's what has caused this behavior. I told my cousin to take the cat to the vet just to make sure and his checkup turned out fine. So it's a territorial thing, but again my cousin doesn't know who's cat is actually doing that but does know that the hallway has recently smelled. Is there anything he can do to discourage the peeing? Any way he can help calm his cat so it doesn't feel it has to mark as well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverlady

My cat is a princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update and say that my cousin discovered the problem, he had the litter box in the bathroom and the cat was getting freaked out whenever the toilet flushed, so he relocated the litter box and so far all has been good I guess. I didn't know that's where he had the litter box so I was puzzled.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just came across this thread now. Glad to see your cousin solved the problem. I'll try to remember that to advise in future litter box avoidance threads.