My co-worker's cat

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My co-worker's biggest fear is that something will happen to him and there will be nobody to take his kitty. Rick and I had a long talk a couple weeks ago and Rick even agreed that we can't just let the cat go to a shelter (or worse). His relatives don't want the cat. I told Bob that we'd take Hemi if he (Bob) got the virus or if anything happened to him. And we'd do whatever we could to make sure Hemi had a good home with us. I think that was such a relief to Bob. He has high blood pressure and is diabetic; if he were to get the virus and would have to go to hospital, he's scared to death he'd never get back home.

Well, Rick had to go into work today to talk to the union president. Bob put his house key out on the porch and Rick picked it up (with a wipe), cleaned it off, and brought it home. If we have to, we'll have a key to his house to pick up Hemi and bring him home, if the need ever arises.

I used to have Bob's house key and I had his car keys (just in case anything ever happened and I needed to get into the house), but when I retired, I gave his keys back to him. But geez, it's a cat. And what will happen to him if we don't take him? Rick knows Bob and I've cat-sat for Hemi (and for Jasper, too, when he was alive), so Hemi is used to me being around.

And you can't just let a cat go by the wayside. No way. And Hemi came from a shelter; that's where Bob got him. He is declawed; he was declawed when Bob got him. Hopefully, it will never, ever happen, but if it does, we'll do what we can for him. And I think Bob knows that Hemi would have a good home with us. You do what you have to do.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Making plans for pets is so important. Putting them in your will is essential IMO. My two are so sensitive and I couldn't bear the thought of them ending up in a shelter.
I'm sure he's grateful to know you're there for his cat. :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom and step-dad have it in their will that I will take any pets. They didn't even have to ask. Of course I'm the only one that lives close by too. But still. Even without this pandemic; It's comforting to know your furbabies are going to be taken care of. I see posts on Facebook so often of furbabies that their owners have passed and they need new homes. So often it was without warning. :ohwell:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It's in our will that my sister will take our cats, should anything happen to Rick and me. We knew our son wouldn't take them and my sister agreed. When we decided to take in Hemi (if it comes to that), I talked to my sister first, for the simple reason that she might end up with him. She understands and it's OK.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for doing that. I have a spot in my home for my mom’s cat should she reach the point she needs permanent nursing care and my son is the designated caregiver for my cat in the event It is needed. It is so important to have a plan for our pets.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you for assuming that responsibility. I know that if anything happened to Michele or me, the survivor would be able financially be able to carry on, but if something happened to both of us, there is no one who could or would take care of ours, and the thought isn't pleasant. Burdock and Miss Eleanor would probably be rehomed. Digger and Stretch? Possibly. Bashful and Prancer? Unlikely- they retain the most of their feral characteristics. We just have to keep our fingers crossed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, we took Muffin in when Mom went into a nursing home. She told us to just "put her down", but Muffin was only a little over a year at the time and she's a really good cat. There is no way we would have done something like that!

And then when Rick's father died, nobody would take Jackie (aka The Beast), so she came to live with us. We (or rather I) had our/my moments with that beagle, but we cried like babies when we had to put her to sleep earlier this year.

I knew Bob was worried sick over Hemi. He had asked me before, but at the time we had eight cats and I knew we just couldn't. Then he asked me again and we still had five cats and then we brought The Beast into the house. We only have four cats and, Bob's biggest concern is Hemi, esp since Jasper passed away.

And who knows, it may never come to pass. But, if it does, we'll be there for him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are such a good person! I, too, worry about our cats during this, especially now that I know cats can get it from us, They have leukemia, so it very likely could be a death sentence. Hopefully not both of us would die, so one could take care of the cats. my husband almost died from West Nile, and still has bad lungs, so it is scary. Here in Nebraska, we hardly have it at all, but it could still be coming!