My Cat's Stomach Is Unusually Big And She Keeps Curling On The Floor

KatelynWeggers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday, we assumed our cat was pregnant for the 2nd time (she gave birth to her first kittens a month ago) because her stomach is kinda getting big again, and a few nights ago we can hear cat fights so I did assume they were mating but a few hours earlier we noticed her stomach grew more. The difference from yesterday is very noticeable. Is it possible for it to get that big in that short time?

Also, she's been acting weird, like, her body is so tensed up? Her fur has been spiked up for a few hours now. When she breastfeeds her kittens, she'd curl up her body, making it hard for the kittens to suck (but she would still clean their butts). When I try to pick her up, usually she'd struggle, but today she didn't. She'd sleep in the middle of the way where she usually doesn't and when we try to put her somewhere else she just comes back. I can also see in her face that she's not okay :/

Yes, she's eating well and she's not rejecting her kittens. All she's done after eating is curl up on that one spot on the floor, she wouldn't even bother going to her kittens, I had to bring her kittens over to where she is. I also noticed she'd do a lot of weird positions. She'd also stumble down and roll a little bit because of her stomach.

It doesn't even look like she's hurt when I touch her. She just looks weak I guess.

Is she really pregnant? Is she going to be okay? We live in a rural area so there aren't really any vets we could go to.

Please help, I'm really worried for my cat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
KatelynWeggers KatelynWeggers

Yes, I agree that she needs medical care immediately! It's imperative that you drive to a vet. Bring the kittens along too.

Your cat should not be allowed outside right now with young kittens to care for. It is not safe, and as you've realized, she can get pregnant again right away.

However, she may or may not be pregnant. She has something wrong with her for sure that is causing her belly to swell unnaturally, and she is unwell. She is probably in pain also.

I think you may lose her without medical intervention! :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe someone here can help you find a low cost veterinary clinic. I live in a very rural area too, but we have vets a half hour away. Does your family have a car?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatelynWeggers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys my dad took care of everything. He drove my cat and her kittens to a vet an hour away and it was all worth it. He didn't really explain the details to me because he needed to rest but what he said was - the vet made my cat poop, lots of liquidy poop. My cat's stomach is back to normal and it turns out she is NOT pregnant lol. Yeah now she's breastfeeding her kittens and everything is okay now. Thank you so much guys!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for getting her to the vet! It sounds like she was badly constipated. Maybe you can make sure she gets some canned food, the moisture in it might help prevent constipation.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness it was nothing more serious than that. It truly is good that she saw a vet.

I agree that wet food will help avoid constipation. Most cats get diarrhea before giving birth to clean out their systems.

Mom will spot red or pink fluid for about a week while her uterus heals.

Glad she's feeding her babies now!

Thank you for the update! :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a relief! Can you keep mom and babies 100% inside now?