My cat's breed?! So confused...

ashley85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this is Angel, I know she'said definitely a mix because her mom was all black and short haired plus she was the only kitten with long hair. I'm trying to get feedback as far as what everyone thinks her dad could'very been....

Last edited by a moderator:

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With mix breed cats there's really and truly no telling. She would be classified as a domestic long hair, or DLH, with what I believe is called a harlequin pattern. The long hair coat could have came from her father, and that would most likely have made him a domestic long hair as well. Depending on her size she could pass as a ragdoll look a like. Beautiful girl, her coat is amazing!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very, very few cats are purebred or even mixed breed. Most cats have no breed background at all. Cats is cats :D. We call them domestic shorthairs or domestic longhairs.

She's a lovely kitty! As for her father's looks. . .hmm. He had a lot of white, and had dark spots (if he had red spots she would be a calico). He at least carried the longhair gene, but he wasn't necessarily longhaired himself. That's all we can know without seeing him!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dear daddy was shorthaired, and had white spots. This we know for sure.  He was also a carrier of the longhair gene, as momma is.  With both parents carriers fo the longhair gene, we get this here typical result; one (or two)  of the kittens in the litter is longhair, rest shorthair.

White spot gene is dominant, so mom didnt had it, but daddy must have had. And having it, he had white spots too.

Question: are all the siblings white spotted?  Or just half?   If all, so was daddy double gened re white spot gene.  If half, he had only one such gene, not two.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I got this PM from @Ashley85   and as its no secret, Im quoting it here for help in further analysis:

"If I remember correctly she was the only white spotted kitten and three only long haired kitten. Some of them we pure black and some were grey with lighter spots. A few had a bit of brownish beige coloring. Most of them were black like their mom."

So it seems to have been a quite large litter?  This with bolded I dont understand.   Earlier you wrote Angel was the only longhaired.

Is three a typo, you meaning Angel?

Now, white spot is dominant, at least half of them should have this.  Unless grey with lighter spots means white parts, it would hint here we may have at least two fathers.   Angels father and another one.  That is not that common as it sometimes appears, but here it may be so.

Grey is diluted black, and brown may also be seen as a sort of black... So this dont help us much - as they all essentially do carry black.  The father was probably a blackie too, or possibly grey.

Were there any possibility for two toms mating?