My Cat Is In Her First Heat Cycle And My Grandpa...

cruel or not?

• nah totally safe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ol'Catt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is in her first heat cycle and my grandpa suddenly told me to hold my and then he tied a STRING to her belly, he said that this would lessen her kitty number. This is cruel right?

Who would even tie a string in a belly of a woman who have twins to lessen her child into one?
I don't even think that that would work because this would just squish the embryo.
By the way the string is not even tight(right now that is)

We live in a somehow isolated place so I can't take her to a vet to spay her. I always let her out then i realized that it's her first heat cycle after seeing so many tomcats around the house. so she's definitely pregnant alright.
cat.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, tying a string around her belly won't do anything at all. You can take the cat to be spayed as soon as her heat cycle is over, even if she has mated. It takes several days for the sperm to reach the eggs and fertilize them, so if you act quickly it is safe to spay her.

Please keep her indoors until she has been spayed. Mating is not pleasant for female cats. She risks serious injury if there are lots of tom cats around and she could become infected with Feline AIDS or Feline Infectious Leukemia during the mating.

If you let us know which country/state you live in we can help you find a cheap spay clinic.

Take the string off the cat and keep her indoors for now, please.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably an old wives' tale. It wouldn't do anything because she has plenty of room in her abdomen so the kittens would just go forward or back even if the string were tight. Do take the string off before she gets tangled up or something.

Is she still acting like she's in heat? If so, maybe she didn't get pregnant. Keep her inside until you can figure out how to have her spayed.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you said you lived in an isolated area, but please try to find a way to get her spayed. If this is her first heat, that would make her somewhere around 5-6 months old. This is way too young for her to be having kittens safely.