My cat has pneumonia?

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My gotham boy just got pneumonia he is on antibiotics for it. I can tell he is hungry and want to eat he just cant smell it so he won't eat how do i get him to eat. Ive tried warmed up bady food and warmed up wet food he still won't touch them. I am taking him to stream showers to try and help him.

I dont know what else to do or how I can help him.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
That's so sad - make sure he goes to the vet for regular checkups/if anything becomes worse.
I've never experienced this, but with wet food what I would probably do is dab a little sauce on his nose, he will feel it and lick his lips/nose, and he'll taste it and realise its food.
This is just what I would do, perhaps some other members will give more ideas.
Hopefully he gets well soon. 🙂

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree about trying the food on the nose/lips concept and see what happens. You can also try giving him some tuna, sardines (no bones of course), salmon - anything like this with a higher 'smell' factor. Hopefully, the steam from the shower will help too!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agreed. Try to get the stinkiest food you can find, and then warm that up. Food with fish in it usually fits that description best.

So can you see gunk in/on his nose? If so, you can also wipe it off with a soft rag, dampened with warm water. Just swipe it away from his nostrils in a downward motion to gently remove any "debris".. This would be in addition to the steaming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agreed. Try to get the stinkiest food you can find, and then warm that up. Food with fish in it usually fits that description best.

So can you see gunk in/on his nose? If so, you can also wipe it off with a soft rag, dampened with warm water. Just swipe it away from his nostrils in a downward motion to gently remove any "debris".. This would be in addition to the steaming.

I have picked up a bunch of wet food in the pouches that are fish and I got him to eat one when I got home from work.

The only time I see gunk is when I am trying give him his pill then his mouth and nose becomes a snott fest and it makes giving him the pill hard. I might try and give the pill to him while I am giving him a stream shower.

jennifersbar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They can give you pill to give to kitty for 3 days. It might make him more hyper. I had an issue with my cat not eating and this is what the vet gave. Think it was like an antidepressant. It worked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update, took him the vet last Wednesday and he still have pneumonia so he is still on antibiotics, he eats on and off but he hides most of the days still, I know it the medication.

He has another vet appointment on thursaday to see if he is finally getting over it and I hope he is cause I hate seeing him not feeling well and all I can do is give him medication and rest and hope for the best.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet about a different antibiotic and maybe some kind of nose drops to help clear his nose so he can breathe. Also see if you can get an appetite stimulant and pick up some cans of Science Diet a/d. That stuff is like crack for kitties and full of really good nutrients for sick and recovering kitties.