My cat has a mouth sore

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
A little over a week ago I noticed that my cat has some swelling on his gums. I don’t know if it’s been there for a longer period of time, so I can’t tell. I also don’t know if he had his tooth there before or if he lost it and it could be caused by him losing his tooth. I was cleaning this sore/ulcer/wound with some chlorhexidine. It didn’t seem to get better but it also wasn’t getting worse. I contacted my vet and sent her some pictures. She told me to change a cleaning solution and told me there could be a lot of differential diagnoses. Like a trauma, a burn, an infection, some bacteria, an allergy, fungus or even an oral cancer. The last option really freaks me out, so I reached out to the other vet that I trust (an online consultation too). She told me it’s definitely not cancer and she thinks it does look like my cat lost his tooth and perhaps his root might’ve stayed there and causes this swelling. She told me to use Dentisept for 14 days. I only started using it yesterday so I can’t tell if it gets better or no. I am going to keep using it until Wednesday and if it doesn’t get better I will take Simba to the vet and they can do a fine needle aspiration to see what is really going on there.
Simba is my almost 7 year old cat, he is happy and healthy and he doesn’t have any other symptoms and also it doesn’t seem like it bothers him at all. He does have some gingivitis and we are about to have his dental cleaning appointment soon, so yeah. It’s the only thing. I am also attaching some pictures.
Can someone share if you’ve experienced something like that with your kitties? Have you seen something like this and maybe you’ve got any ideas what that could be? Or just kind words. I am really anxious. This is my soul cat, the only thought of losing him one day makes me insane. So I can really appreciate some support or reassurance. Both vets said it doesn’t look really concerning to them and I shouldn’t worry that much but this is my son, so obviously I am just spiralling. Again, it doesn’t get better, I don’t think so, but also it doesn’t get worse. It kind of just stays the same. Looks a bit different on the pictures but that’s only because they were taken with the different lights and everything. It looks like a hole in the middle and it’s definitely where his tooth supposedly was. Then there’s this swelling of his gum above that hole. It doesn’t really look big or anything and sometimes it doesn’t even look that red, I think it’s actually redder on the pictures. Honestly, this swelling is minor and it isn’t even bigger than his actual gum on the other side (the part that isn’t inflamed). But I don’t know. Still worried. He doesn’t seem to notice that at all or have any other symptoms. But yeah.
Thank you in advance, I hope you all are having a nice time!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My first cat lost a couple of teeth and I would not have even known it if I hadn't found them on the floor. That was decades ago before everyone became more 'in tune' with cat health care. That said, if your vet has seen the pics and since you have an appt. scheduled - and they want to try to treat it as they are, then I would just do so but keep an eye out on it in case it gets worse or starts affecting him otherwise. If that happens, then push the vet for an earlier appt.