My cat gave birth, looking for help and advice while watching her

PoolTable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat right now is giving birth. The first one came out successfully and I’m sure others are on the way as I type this. We are going to buy a heating pad tomorrow for the kittens. In the following days I wanna be sure what I should be looking for and how to make sure the kittens grow up safe and healthy Or at least do my best to do so. Anybody who is experienced in cats giving birth and care for kittens with their mother before have anything I should know or do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The heating pad goes under a blanket and is always set on low. There should be room for kittens to move off if they feel too warm.

Weigh the kittens daily in grams. Keep a record the first few weeks. They should gain 6-10 grams or more per day.

Buy a can of powdered kitten formula and get a syringe from a pharmacy to have on hand in case a kitten needs supplementing. Give mom a dish a day to drink. She needs the extra calcium for nursing.

Change the bedding in the nest every couple of days.

Get your cat spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

Kittens need to stay with mom at least 10-12 weeks before being re-homed.

Any questions just ask! 😊

PoolTable PoolTable

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoolTable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The heating pad goes under a blanket and is always set on low. There should be room for kittens to move off if they feel too warm.

Weigh the kittens daily in grams. Keep a record the first few weeks. They should gain 6-10 grams or more per day.

Buy a can of powdered kitten formula and get a syringe from a pharmacy to have on hand in case a kitten needs supplementing. Give mom a dish a day to drink. She needs the extra calcium for nursing.

Change the bedding in the nest every couple of days.

Get your cat spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

Kittens need to stay with mom at least 10-12 weeks before being re-homed.

Any questions just ask! 😊

PoolTable PoolTable
Thank you so much! If I need to ask anything I’ll be sure to come back here and ask!