My Cat Essay

jericho123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Living with a cat is hard, with the constant meowing, jumping on counter tops and struggles with “bath time”. It makes life a living hell. I’ve had my first cat Jericho since August. I picked him up from an adoption center called “Animal Care Services” at Petco. My boyfriend used to call Jericho handsome, but now he says he looks like a fatter version of Garfield. He is very fat; in fact, you can see his fluff from underneath his belly sway back and forth when he walks. Yes, you could call him big boned or even chubby just not the cute, small skinny guy I knew so long ago. Although, I do wish my cat was in shape. I think he’s much happier this way.

When I first took Jericho home he acted like I took him to a different universe, by running under my bed and sniffing everything around him. I knew he wasn’t going to feel comfortable unless I added some cat toys, like a mouse into his new environment. But even with his new toys he would rather play with my feet at the end of my bed than his new scratching post. It didn’t take much for him to be entertained, a paper ball or a cardboard box would do just fine. But as time grew on “laziness” started to kick in. He just wants to sleep all the time. He’s not very active anymore, and he has no interest in playing or running. He doesn’t even care about chasing his toys around. When I throw his mouse, he just sits there looking up at me like I’m an idiot. But even though he’s not as hyper as he used to be, he still surprises me by being so mischievous at times.

Nowadays, my hand to looks like it was mauled by a bear and my window blinds somehow ends up in pieces. This is when I start to think this wasn’t such a good idea. But I didn’t give up on him and I knew he wasn’t going to give up on me either. It was just going to take more time and effort for him to realize what’s mine and what’s his. I know that Jericho’s just a curious cat that wants to be an adventurer. That’s why he was always climbing on everything and knocking stuff off the counters. But it wasn’t until a couple weeks I realized he just wasn’t settled in yet. For instance, now when I come home from school or work, Jericho likes to scamper over to me and put his paws on my thigh. So I pick him up, knowing that after a long day being alone, he’s dying to be held. When he’s in my arms, his huge hazel eyes gaze up on my face; this is when I knew I couldn’t be happier. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome. So glad to hear you're not giving up on him. One question - what are you feeding him? That sounds like a lot of weight gain since August if he went from skinny to very fat.