My Cat Doesn´t Claw When I Pet His Stomach?

catthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I´ve seen a lot of things that say that a cat will usually attack or claw someone if they touch the cat´s belly, but mine doesn´t do that? He´s a bit of a lump. Could this be because he was a rescue and lost his mother very young?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats actually enjoy belly rubs, but how tolerant of them they are varies. Some only allow family members to touch their bellies, others have to be in a very good mood, some enjoy only a light touch, etc..

You have to be very cautious about trying to touch a cat's stomach for the first time, and it's not advisable if the cat doesn't know you.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't a rule. Most of my cats have loved it. I have had very few who would get upset over it. Totally depends on the personality and many other factors.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats loves belly rubs. If you go over to pet her she flips over onto her back so you can rub her belly, like a dog. If you try to stop petting before she has decided you are done she will grab your hand and force you to keep petting. She was with her mother for 6 months.

I think it's more a trust thing. Their bellies are their most vulnerable part, so a cat showing you their belly or going as far as letting you pet it shows they trust you completely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone! I feel better, I’ve not had many other cats and our only other one right now will bite if you try to rub his belly. Niko is a very social and cuddly boy, he even gets lonely at night when everyone is asleep and he’s not.