My Cat Carlton Is Lost-- He's Home!

Tarlytono

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Carlton has been missing for 9 days. He is a 4 year old black tuxedo cat and is neutered and microchipped, he doesn't have a collar. He escaped through my back door in the middle of the night and then disappeared into the darkness. He has only been outside a few times since i adopted him from the humane society 3 years ago. The last time he got out he was missing for 2 days and was found underneath our front bushes in the rain. We back onto an area with a lot of trees with paths. About 200 meters away is a small forest. I have checked everywhere into the forest and the paths and they are both off leash dog areas. I have also checked all my most of my neighbours back yards within a 5 house radius and under their decks. I have also put up posters and have put flyers in my neighbours mailboxes. They are all aware he is missing. Our street is very quiet so i am not worried about cars. He is usually a very shy cat and doesn't enjoy company. It is harder for him to come back because we also have a dog and our yard is fenced and Carlton hates the dog. Most of my neighbours also have dogs. He was seen 6 days ago in my neighbours back yard and i think he then ran into the forest. I have read that he is probably hiding somewhere but i cant find him. It rained 1 day after he got out and 2 other times since. It was also going below freezing at night recently it has been very warm and i am worried that he couldn't stay dry and the right temperature. I have also leaft sardines and tuna and canned cat food and treats out. I have also walked around in the middle of the night and shaked treats. We changed the litter boxes right after he left as we have 2 other cats so i cant leave litter out. I have also told the local humane society that he is missing so they will tell me if he comes in. I am really worried that he wont turn up. Do you guys have any ideas of what to do. I will try to trap him if i can find out where he is. Thank you.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would leave his litter box outside. Even if it is new litter, it will still smell like him. You might also sit outside, late at night and softly call his name. If he's near, he may too too frightened to come out during the day.

Vibes you find him!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even though you told the humane society check them physically daily. They do try but all it takes is a bad day and he could get missed. When Link was missing (4 days and came home with a broken leg) I went in everyday and walked through the cages. I can't tell you the number of times I saw a cat mislabeled as the wrong color or as small when they were large.

Does your area have the Nextdoor app/website? It is another resource to get the word out to people beyond your immediate area.

Don't give up. When my sister moved to a new home her cat went missing for a month. She swore she heard him outside a few times but never saw him. One day she heard him and ran outside and saw him dashing over the fence. She started calling and he froze and came running towards her. He was skinny and filthy but alive.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also you might try calling your local animal control. Not all animals go to the humane society. Ours go to a no-kill shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tarlytono

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been raining a lot for a few days and is forecasted to rain for another week. I am wondering if this could make it any easier to find him or if he will only be harder to find. Since it is raining I can't leave the litter box out and I can't look as much. The area I think he may be is all either flooded or extremely muddy and I am wondering if his hiding spot would be flooded and he may be on the move again. Thanks guys and any tips will be very helpful.

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try a can of tuna he's probably very hungry and if he smells that he might come ...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I have great sympathy for what you are going through as I am going through the same situation.....as far as tips go, are you taking a bright flashlight with you at night to see if there are cat's tapetums glowing from under the bushes or in a tree?

Tarlytono

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After over a month of looking for Carlton I have now seen him again. Unfortunately after looking at me for a few seconds he ran off. He ran into someone's back yard and then we don't now where. The people living near there told me that he had been living there for weeks. Now that I know the area he is living in how am I supposed to find him again and get him home? If anyone could give me tips that would be great.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap:Good news that you have spotted Carlton. Hopefully the neighbor will allow you to trap him, just as if he were a feral. It sounds to me like he got spooked or something and is now outside his home territory. It would be worth the extra time and effort to feed him routinely inside the trap but with the trapdoor propped open, if he doesn't go into the trap right away. Don't try to handle him just cover the trap so he remains calm until he is transported back inside. Once you have him, try to contain him inside in a small room and take it from there. My former ferals have been known to get freaked out for no obvious reason but when I bring them inside, they calm down, anywhere from right away to a few days. Let Carlton decide the timing in the reunion. When you let him outside the trap (inside the room), try to put a little butter on his paws - that is an old wives' tale that seems to really work; when the cat licks the butter off its paws, it get the scent of the new territory inside its mouth and wont run off.
Fortunately, cats are in the "now" and once you have Carlton, the healing can begin! He probably was chased by a predator such as a dog or hawk or owl, or perhaps a feral tomcat and has a bit of PTSD. Thank you for the update!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any updates on Carlton? Even ferals like routine feeding so hopefully your neighbors will allow you to establish a feeding program in their yard so Carlton can eventually be trapped and returned home. Cats may be scared but they are also smart, so please do not get discouraged. If you havent trapped before, note that patience, preparedness, and most of all, calmess are key - excitement and noise, particularly human voices, have derailed many a cat trapping and/or rescue. I recommend "disinterested alertness", stay nearby but preoccupied with reading or crocheting or quiet conversation; only occasional glances towards the cat - your Ears are your best asset at that point because you will hear when the trap is sprung. You then casually and silently approach the trap to gently cover it, avoiding eye contact unless the cat meows to you, in which case you can verbally reassure the cat :) Please keep us updated!

Last edited:

Tarlytono

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We haven't been able to see him since I last posted. I am second guessing if it was him since there is a cat that lives in that area that looks similar. Once I get the chance I will get a trap but th neighbour is worried that leaving food will bring raccoons and other pests.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't been able to see him since I last posted. I am second guessing if it was him since there is a cat that lives in that area that looks similar. Once I get the chance I will get a trap but th neighbour is worried that leaving food will bring raccoons and other pests.
Since he is skittish, it probably is him. If you remove the uneaten food before deep dusk in the evenings, the raccoons wont be any more frequent than they currently are - they are attracted by cooking odors and trash cans anyway.

Tarlytono

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should I put the food out during the day or at night I am confused. I haven't had any sightings in week now and it has been raining.

Catlover!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im quite new to this website but I think if there are quite a lot of cats or even foxes you shouldn't put the food out during the night as he could simply eat the food and run off again unless you supervise it. Keep it usually in the morning when you can supervise and make sure nothing happens to it. Also, if you have any cameras it could be useful as you can then see if your cat stops by anytime. My prayers are with your cat x

Tarlytono

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im quite new to this website but I think if there are quite a lot of cats or even foxes you shouldn't put the food out during the night as he could simply eat the food and run off again unless you supervise it. Keep it usually in the morning when you can supervise and make sure nothing happens to it. Also, if you have any cameras it could be useful as you can then see if your cat stops by anytime. My prayers are with your cat x
I can't watch the food very much because he is at around a a different side of the neighbourhood and I am at school all morning.

Catlover!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't watch the food very much because he is at around a a different side of the neighbourhood and I am at school all morning.
Couldn't you ask one of your parents or if you have any siblings to keep an eye out? Also, every sunset just go out and softly call his name. If you ever spot him try following him and try not to lose him, don't miss your chance if you get one! x

Tarlytono

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Carlton is HOME! A neighbour caught him and brought home. He had been living around his house and meowing at his door. His girlfriend had been feeding him. He was at the door and they just let him in. He doesn't look too worse for wear other than losing about a pound but he was chubby to start with. There is one spot the looks like he had shaved that maybe someone was taking care of at one point. It looks like it might be bruised. We will get him in to the vet as soon as possible. He is very happy to be home and has been purring the whole time he has been home. Thank you all for the help in his recovery. I am so happy that Carlton is home after being lost for 6 weeks. :)

Catlover!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Carlton is HOME! A neighbour caught him and brought home. He had been living around his house and meowing at his door. His girlfriend had been feeding him. He was at the door and they just let him in. He doesn't look too worse for wear other than losing about a pound but he was chubby to start with. There is one spot the looks like he had shaved that maybe someone was taking care of at one point. It looks like it might be bruised. We will get him in to the vet as soon as possible. He is very happy to be home and has been purring the whole time he has been home. Thank you all for the help in his recovery. I am so happy that Carlton is home after being lost for 6 weeks. :)
Thats so amazing! Thank god he is home safe and happy! I send him all my love and wishes! :) I know how you feel as my cat has been missing for 2 months now and I think about him everyday hoping that one day he will be waiting at my door meowing. I try to be positive everyday. Hopefully, my story will have a happy ending just like yours!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you have him back.:clap:What did the vet say about the shaved area & how is Carlton doing? :catrub:p.s. How about posting some photos for us?

Last edited: