My cat ate foam peanuts!

starrymoongrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Jacques likes to play in cardboard boxes and got into one that had foam peanuts in it. I caught him eating one this morning and I'm not sure how many others he might have eaten! What do I do? Are they poisonous or deadly or anything? Or will he just pass them?! The vet isn't open till tomorrow so I'm not sure what to do.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could not find a clear answer re if this is poisonous, but did find that there is a risk of intestinal blockage from eating these. My one hope is that your peanuts were not styrofoam, but were the biodegradable, starch kind as these are safer to my best knowledge.

Here is a link with a photo of what they look like (it's very distinctive) if you aren't sure: click here

Hopefully someone else will come along here who can be more helpful,

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I once was stupid enough to leave a box lying around, and marsh too LOVES to eat anything he sees, so he got to it and i saw him eating his first one.. it literally melted in his mouth, as soon as it got soggy from his saliva, at which point i got it out and threw the box away. He was OK afterwords.. but again, it's just a part of one, i'm not sure how many of yours you cat ate - did yours melt as well?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on which type of packing peanuts they are. Some of them are quite nasty. I would give him some canned pumpkin, or some loose leaf catnip (organic) to eat to get fiber into him so hopefully he will pass the stuff through. Watch him and if you see any worrisome signs please call the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starrymoongrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These are what they look like. I did manage to get the one he was chomping on out of his mouth and it didn't dissolve just kind of melded together... sort of. I don't think he could've eaten more than one because I was only gone for a second.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think those are the starch kind, they only come in the long shape like in the link I showed you...these look like a shorter version of styrofoam peanuts.

I'd do as Hissy suggested, extra fiber - try the pumpkin, and since it's just one, try not to worry! Knowing me
I'd still call my vet tomorrow to get their advice as well.