My brothers cat is 68 days pregnant

supdawgimalex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know when she's gonna give birth tbh,my sister is catsitting her and she's now 68 days pregnant. She's hiding under my sisters couch for over 3 days now and won't leave,is this a sign she's almost ready? It's a pretty cramp fit so I'm worried if she's gonna give birth there plus my sister doesn't want a mess and wanted her to give birth in a specific place with towels

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know when she's gonna give birth tbh,my sister is catsitting her and she's now 68 days pregnant. She's hiding under my sisters couch for over 3 days now and won't leave,is this a sign she's almost ready? It's a pretty cramp fit so I'm worried if she's gonna give birth there plus my sister doesn't want a mess and wanted her to give birth in a specific place with towels
Are you sure on the exact count of days?

Cats have often a little too long pregnancy, and they manage it better than humans.
But it should be near.
A problem is, if she is hiding and sis inexperienced, she has no clue on what is happening. For example, if the cat has dropped, ie suddenly looks as less pregnant - which happens a day or two before delivery.

The fact she is hiding MAY be because its her chosen nest. But may be because she is shy, doesnt feel safe with sis...
Obviously, delivering there isnt the optimal. Sis wont have any possibility to help out if problems happens.

Anyway, good if sis prepares some birthing area, which is a little sheltered. Perhaps in a side turned cardboard box?

Later on, after delivery; something similiar for momma and babies to h ave their nest in.

Be sure momma gets calcium rich food, whatever you have at home and she takes; goats milk, mild cheese, mild youghurt... Cant hurt may help, because low level of calcium may cause weak labor.

Last but not least: it would be best if the sis, whom is actually caretaking, were our member... and contacted us directly, withouth having you as an intermediary.
You are of course welcome to participate in the thread you too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supdawgimalex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I'm not exactly sure,she escaped only for 2 days so it's either the 11th or 12th when the actual mating occurred. My sister says other than the litter box she hasn't been trying to nest really (this cats been dragging stuff into the litter box for years now since she was a kitten) she didn't really start showing till like 4-5 weeks after the mating took place. Shes always been a little skinny so i dont know if she'd look huge like i see in pics. During the Pregnancy we've been giving her kitten food like the vet recommended. My sister says shes hiding from tge other cats,she owns 2 cats + she doesn't seem to get along with my cat that my sisters also watching lately. Other than the bigger pink nipples and stomach growth she hasn't really had much symptoms well other than increased appetite

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, if she isnt friend with the other cats, its perhaps THEM she is hiding from, now when she is vulnerable.
Please make sure they are separated and isolated from her!

dshakw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please isolate her from other cats. My cat just lost her litter and her recovery is full of up and downs. It was just after 68th day I took her to vet. It was too late. In her last week, she wanted to hide but never settled in a spot and she didn't want the boxes I prepared too. There is another cat which we took in to help her after a surgery. That guest cat healed quickly and I didnt want to let her out before spaying because her surgery was for her leg and pregnancy would be harsh. Knowing my cat is a bit anxious, I separated them %85 of the time but I wish I just sent the other cat somewhere else. I really think she might have paused or postponed her delivery because of her. (I read cats can do it and looking back it made sense) If not those just the stress did the bad. I mean I can't be sure but she always wanted to go outside from the front door. Maybe she wanted to hide and give labor outside but I didn't allow it. (It was dangerous, other cats enter the building from the garage but of course she didn't know it)

Stress does so much damage to cats. She needs to feel safe and comfortable. Also, I was worrying about the mess too, but please let her be if she doesn't want a towel, etc, under her. Do not interfere or interrupt when labor starts. When she is having contractions, do not change her place. Offer her a drawer or a closet(which can get some air) (Mine liked those but just slept there) If she is worried isolating her and giving a more closed space can do some good.
I wish quick delivery and healthy kittens to your cat.

dshakw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mean, of course, help her if something seems off during delivery, but keeping some space and observing from a distance is better if she tends to hide all the time.

Another thing is kittens are probably moving, and that's visible sometimes. Which made me rush to the vet was they were in the same place for a day and that parts of the stomach were hard.

Last thing, if her water breaks, it means she's really close. Even though there are lots of cats that deliver few days after water break, my advice would be waiting half a day and taking to vet or calling vet after a few hours and hearing her advice.

supdawgimalex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister now just lets her reside in her closet mostly cause the underneath the couch was a tight fit but yeah she's now in the closet. My sister thinks that maybe she might not be that pregnant since she doesn't look it,cause I guess she wasn't pregnant the moment she mated? So maybe she's like 50 something days pregnant or now just reaching 60 days pregnant but when I looked it up it counted the fertilization period in week 1

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My sister now just lets her reside in her closet mostly cause the underneath the couch was a tight fit but yeah she's now in the closet. My sister thinks that maybe she might not be that pregnant since she doesn't look it,cause I guess she wasn't pregnant the moment she mated? So maybe she's like 50 something days pregnant or now just reaching 60 days pregnant but when I looked it up it counted the fertilization period in week 1
I think she has dropped now, if she suddenly doesnt look as much preg as she was. IF so, delivery soon, and everything is going normally, although a pregnancy longer than average.

But as said from beginning. Either you know exactly when she mated - or you dont know. If you dont know, its just to wait, having the dropping as a fairly sure forewarning.

supdawgimalex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's always been a skinny cat and she didn't start showing till like 5-6 weeks after the mating and I don't know if it's cause she's a skinny cat or if she has like 1 kitten but my sister says she doesn't look ready to pop,like I've seen pregnant cats and their stomachs looked huge but she's never gotten to that point. And when I looked it up online it says it can take 1-10 days for the egg to fertilize so what if she'd actually just now reaching 60 days of pregnancy and not 70? Either way she should be close to giving birth I think

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
again, if you know when she mated, so you know.
And if you dont know (which IS common) - all possibilites are of course open.