My boy is beautiful... but what breed is he?

vickorano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there, first post!

I adopted this guy from a local cat shelter that works with a local TNR/stray rescue. All I know is that he was born in late June of this year & was fostered (very well) by someone working at the shelter. I named him Mister Bones. What do you guys think? Likely a mix of some sort but I can't shake thinking he's part Russian Blue, if anything, because of his super shiny coat.

His quirks are:
- waking up at 6am to play fetch while I'm still in bed
- constant talking/call & respond
- bumping his head while playing (a lot)
- wanting MY food even after I've fed him
- farting in my face
- licking windows
- sliding off of surfaces while stretching (and not caring)
- drive-by attacks

Attachments

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi vickorano vickorano and welcome to TCS!

Technically he's a DSH (domestic short hair) and I'd go with that if I were you. Unless you get a cat from a breeder, cats are usually domestics.
Having said that, though, he does have a RB look about him, especially with the 'tiger stripes' he has that gradually fade in RBs. He reminds me a lot of my girl (in my avatar).

But mainly he's gorgeous, and he's yours. Congratulations!

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your BEAUTIFUL lil man! Fun fact: if you have an iPhone and it’s updated it will give a good guess on what the breed is, pls see the attached photo ❤ cat DNA tests are always a cool option as rescues are most likely multiple breeds.

Attachments

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations on your BEAUTIFUL lil man! Fun fact: if you have an iPhone and it’s updated it will give a good guess on what the breed is, pls see the attached photo ❤ cat DNA tests are always a cool option as rescues are most likely multiple breeds.
To be honest, cat DNA tests don't tell us much at all. It's been discussed quite a bit here .. just search Cat DNA in the forums.
This is part of a quote from amethyst amethyst

One is that unlike dogs that have been selectively bred for thousands of years most cat breeds have only been selectively bred for less then 150 years, so most (over 95%) are just "domestic cats" not any specific breed. The DNA tests can tell you what breeds your cat is most similar to though, but doesn't mean that your cat for sure actually contains any of those breeds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vickorano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who posted! His breed was merely a curiosity to me, but I know he's not purebred because he's a rescue, born from a street cat of some sort. To me, his breed is gray 🩶 (with orange cat behavior.) 🤣