My Baby Is Alway Angry

Theepickareen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So long story short, my tiniest baby girl cat is always hissing, and has recently started peeing in places she wasnt suppost to.

My mom passed away a few months ago ,and they were her kitties. I had 2. But when she passed away i had to move in with my best friend who had a foreign cat, and who seems pretty well behaved.
I think i did all the right things trying to being them over. I gave them there own quiet space for about a week. Associated smells of both cats. To each other and then slowly introduced them to each otber for the first 2 or so months it seemed fine
.the littest girl kitty would occationally hiss at the new cat...or her reflection. And then about a month ago she caught a uti. And started peeing weird places. But even after her uti went away. Shes still pretty aggressive and is hissing even more then before at both other cats now.
I dont want to get rid of her. It will break my heart. Completely since she and her brother are all i have left.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Id take anything

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Theepickareen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would also like to point out she has in the passed lost large patches of fur after my mom passed away on her hindside and legs . She kinda became bare.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she’s pretty stressed from all the changes! I’m sure you are too; I’m so sorry about your mom. It seems likes it’s a really hard time for this peeing issue to occur.

Since you already had a vet check, and know it’s not a health issue, I’d think it’s the stress and change. However, if the UTI was a while ago, I’d get her checked again just to make sure it’s not a health issue.

I would start with litter boxes; there are three cats now, between you and your roommate? Technically, you’re supposed to have a litter box for each cat, plus one! So four. If you only have one or two, than she may be feeling threatened when using the box. And if she doesn’t feel safe, she’s going to start going other places. Are you scooping them daily. The addition of another cat might just mean it’s too full/stinky for her to want to use.

Do the cats have high places where they can escape each other? Cat trees or cat shelves seem to really make a difference in multi-cat households. They can survey the territory and feel safe, and it expands the amount of space they have to live in, which means more space from the other cats.

Do you play with her? You can really wear cats out with a vigorous wand toy play session. Even just 15 minutes a day before meal time will fulfill her natural instinct to hunt and will tire her out. This seems to really help with aggression.

You could also try some Feliway diffusers to keep her calm. Litter attract might help entice her to use the box again. Keep us updated! We want you to keep your kitty too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. So sorry about your Mom. :alright: I'm glad your friend was there to take you and your cats in. But I suspect all the changes, plus the prior UTI, are having an affect on your little girl cat.

I'll post the links to some TCS articles on cats and stress, that may be helpful.

Also, can you separate her from the other cats, and do a re-introduction?
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

And maybe try Feliway, or calming treats.

Here are the links to the articles on stress:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

And litter box avoidance ones:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

Plus one on Do Cats Mourn?