My 4 Month Old Kitten Won’t Stop Biting!

Miloooooo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 month old half bengal won’t stop biting no matter what, I thought as he grew older he would stop. But I was wrong, his eyes are fully dilated and his ears flatten out and his bites hurt really bad! He’s a sweet kitty most of the time, so I’m not quite sure what is triggering him.. are there any tips to make this stop?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There can be many triggers. He could be nervous, over stimulated, or even have some sort of pain. If he is checked by a vet and is okay, including no fleas biting him then I would look at the other possibilities. Has he always been a tame kitty? If he is at all nervous then you need to find out why. If he was ever a lost, feral or semi feral then this makes sense. The dilated eyes can indicate fear or over stimulation. When does he bite? At random times? During play? I work with ferals and often deal with this issue until they either calm down or learn to stop. If it is fear I calm them without touching. Calm voice, soothing music, calming food or drink all help. There are calming products on the market. @Mamanyt1953 uses tea and hopefully she can weigh in here to give that information. @Furballsmom jsds music and can sugest products that may help. If the reaction is excitement and over stimulatiim then I follow a routine with my cats. When they grab my hand to bite I don’t move my hand. I freeze. They usually slow down or stop the bite. Don’t snatch away as this makes them pursue to bite more. I slowly withdraw and say, calmly, no. When paws are down I try to pet behind the head very slowly and gently. It can take many tries of this cycle of stopping, calming and starting again. I don’t start again until ears are back up. Consistencd is important. The word no should be releated each time. You may need to use a small brush to work into this routine. Brushing feels good and is hard to resist. Keep petting to favorite spots away from the mouth unless they love the under the chin scratching. Don’t yell at the kitty or strike it. That makes things worse. Slow and steady wins the cat. Stress and over excitement often are a trigger so playing before petting should be reversed. Pet and then play. That breed does teauire a lot of playtime and they get frustrated if they don’t get it. Playing should be done with a wand toy or something that puts. Distance from your hands. After play let kitty have some calm down time alone. Some kitties just put their bite on you without clamping down hard. If they do this, just freeze. Kitty will likely let up. You may be petting a spot they don’t Like or trust. If kitty is biting down hard, hold still and calmy turn your hand to get released. Jerking or snatching encourages them to bite harder. Try some of these tild and let us know how things go and if any of this helps. If not we can try other thkngs. If kitty is not gixed, do that right away. Hormones stir them up and being fixed can change everything for the better. I am glad you wrote in. This is a great place to get information. Please keep us updated. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miloooooo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There can be many triggers. He could be nervous, over stimulated, or even have some sort of pain. If he is checked by a vet and is okay, including no fleas biting him then I would look at the other possibilities. Has he always been a tame kitty? If he is at all nervous then you need to find out why. If he was ever a lost, feral or semi feral then this makes sense. The dilated eyes can indicate fear or over stimulation. When does he bite? At random times? During play? I work with ferals and often deal with this issue until they either calm down or learn to stop. If it is gear I
Yes he bites at random times, and during play time as well! He’s never been lost, he’s been this way since I got him. I don’t think he’s a feral kitty, he loves cuddling, getting petted, getting carried, etc.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I edited my post to add more information and tag some other helpers with good tips. Give them time to respond. I think we can get you through this just fine. Hang on and let’s work out where the problem lies. I have your thread in my warmtch fit just tag me or do a quote of my info if you need further information. Bengals do require some guidance. They really fon’t Understand they are hurting you.