My 3 month old kitten bit me

delightful_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my anti rabies and anti tetanus shot 7 days after getting a category II bite from my 3 month old kitten. It was a small wound but it bled. Will the vaccines still protect me from possible infection even if I got it a little delayed?

P.S. My kitten got an anti rabies shot 6 days before it bit me.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You'll need to keep it clean with soap and water.

There's no way for us to know for sure. We aren't a dr checking your wound either ☺ Watch for redness, swelling or hot feeling from the wound and see a dr if yes to those. Or if you have any other concerns.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with the above, as someone who has had a couple of serious cat bites in the past. From reading your description, you were extremely proactive and you’ve addressed the rabies and tetanus issue, but you need to watch for anything, like swelling, heat, or pain. There is a condition called cellulitis, which can become extremely serious, which has nothing to do with rabies or tetanus. I developed that one time after a bite and it did take a very long and intense round of antibiotics. If you see that go back to the doctor immediately; this is not the kind of infection where you give it three or four days to see what happens.