Moving Long Distance-How To Bring Cats

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've moved with cats many times, and have a few suggestions that may help.  First, make sure everyone is microchipped.  Then start getting your guys used to car travel by taking them on short trips that are NOT to the vet.  If you put catnip in their carriers before you put them in, that should help.  I did that with all my cats when traveling.  If you are taking several days for that trip, I you will be staying in motels along the way.  If the cats have been sleeping all day, they will probably want to play all night, so just be aware of that.  You may have to confine them during the hours you yourself want to sleep. I have had to put some of them in the bathroom and close the door on occasion.   Obviously I did not use tranquilizers other than the catnip.

Second, it is upsetting to some cats to see their home being disrupted and watch their furniture leave.  A good plan is to set up ONE ROOM for them with a bed, litter boxes and food and close them in it from time to time before you really start moving things out.  Then when the movers come to take the furniture, close them in there and do not change anything in there until you actually pack them up to leave.  Don't let them roam around and see major changes in the house.  If the room is your bedroom and there is a bathroom attached, move them to the bathroom before moving your bed out.  Cover the cat carrier before you carry it out to the car through the empty house also.  That way, it's just another car ride to the cats.  After my bed was moved, I made them a “bed” the same size with quilts and pillows on the floor and then let them out of the bathroom.  They didn’t freak out too badly and slept on the makeshift bed until we left the next morning.  (I slept on my camping mattress.)

I used incontinence pads (cheap at Dollar General) to line their carriers.  I had two cats per carrier when I traveled with 8 or 10 cats, one cat per carrier when I traveled with 4 or less.  None of them peed or pooped in the carrier and even when we got to the motels, they took some time to use the litter box at night.  In the morning, I fed them and they lined up to use the litter box.  They were much calmer the second day and went right to sleep. 

Choose your motels ahead of time, make sure they accept cats (you do not need to tell them how many cats) and choose those that have direct access to ground level rooms so you don’t have to go through a lobby.  I always asked for rooms in the BACK also, telling them I wanted the quiet, but mostly I wanted the least visibility!  I did make reservations ahead rather than just grab something when I got tired.  In the motels, be sure to make sure there are no escape routes for the cat -- check air vents, windows, holes in the wall, rips in the box springs they could climb up into etc.  Keep the door locked and put out a DO NOT DISTURB sign.  Do not open the door for any reason unless the cats are is locked in the bathroom or in their carriers.

Finally, when you get to the new home, set up another room for the cats that is as much like the last room you had set up in the old house and confine them there until you get the rest of the house somewhat set up.  Again, you can start them in a bathroom, then expand to include your bedroom, and later, when the home looks like a home, open the door and let them explore the rest of the place.  The bedroom will remain their safety zone and they will return there whenever anything startles them (doorbell, visitors, noises outside etc.) until they feel safe in the rest of the house.

The following is a 15-minute Video Blog of Cole & Marmalade's move from Florida to California.  It's amusing and also informative. Even the commercial leading into it is amusing, but you can skip it if you like by clicking the skip it arrow. There are only two cats involved, but you could double it to four.  These cats are very well socialized and calm, but if yours are more timid, you may want to follow some of the suggestions I made above, about keeping them confined and not aware of the moving process as furniture starts to leave, etc.

Last edited:

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And here I was worried how my three cats would handle a 5-6 hour drive across the state.  I will definitely get some wee wee  pads though, one cat is a nervous nelly.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google  'Cat Car Seat Carriers'. 

Measure how much room you would have either on the seat between you or on the passenger floor-board. You can get one big enough for 2 cats or get 2 smaller ones. Most have attachments for seat-belts - make sure they are secured!

. Bigger ones have room for a small litter box (you might want to take a small pan along with their favorite litter if they aren't accustomed to 'doing their thing' outdoors. A small disposable aluminum roasting pan would work). It is also VERY important to check if the car/truck has air bags and if the cats would be safe on the seat. Not sure if U-Hauls have air bags? The newer one's might.

You're just taking 1 truck? You aren't taking a car with you? That would be handy because you could put a carrier tube across the back seat of the car. Maybe consider renting a car and following the truck?  Either way, get them used to riding in a car now - especially inside a carrier. 

It's gonna be about 24 hours on the road. Familiar toys and blankets, go light on the food... feed them 'small snacks/treats' on the road and a regular meal if you stop at a hotel. Full tummies aren't good on the road. Have a couple zip-loc baggies - one with damp paper towel for clean-ups and one for trash). I agree with asking vet for a mild sedative - ask for recommendations... to keep the calm, but not knock them for a loop. Harnesses and leashes! You don't want them to dash off when you do stop! (if they don't wear them now, start getting them accustomed to the feeling of having them on). Keep the volume on the radio down low... I know it's tempting sometimes to crank it up when traveling, but they need to be kept calm and unstressed. 

Stop at least every 3-4 hours. In a big truck, that is probably when you would be stopping for gas etc anyway. 

View media item 297710
They have a smaller version too. This one goes across the back seat , but I think it collapses down to a smaller size? It's called a  cat tube.

Good luck. I am sure things will work out. If I lived closer, I'd do a road trip with ya! Drive carefully and watch out for idiots on the road!

babakhaan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ive done alot of nashville to dallas drives with my cat and have let her roam freely in the car. At first he tries to get in the driver side in my lap but i pick him up and throw him in the back seat a few times. .. he then finds his own safe spot and just sleeps it out.  Only gets up when i stop for gas and i put him in the litter a few times atm and he goes if he has to.

To eating and water he rarely does it.. jsut goes to sleep as the car hits 70mph.. He is 2 years old.

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just moved 8 cats from Mass to Florida at the end of July. Best decision I ever made was having a transport company bring them down. For 8 cats it was only $1500.00 which sounds like a lot but remember 8 cats. If I had bought carriers, travel litter boxes and whatnot for them it would have equaled close to what I paid to have each one transported. The person who transported them is a vet tech and has a very nice sprinter van with a bed in it so she stays with them at night as well. They didn't have to leave the van once loaded until they got to Florida so no worries of them escaping. The crates were large enough for a bed and litter box and plenty of room for them to move around in. 

The best part was I did not have to deal with worrying about them crying, peeing, pooping, throwing up in the car on the way down. I didn't have to worry about finding a hotel that allowed animals and then having to try and wrangle them back in crates in the morning in a strange hotel room where god knows they could find a crawl space to hide. It gave me more space in the car to bring things down. 

The transport service has gps tracking she sends when she picks them up and you can watch on your cell phone or tablet exactly where she is at all times. Which I thought was very cool. It alerted me when they turned the corner on to our street and I was able to meet the van in the driveway when it arrived. 

For months I struggled with how to get them from Mass to Florida and even posted on here for advice. I was going to fly them, I was going to drive them, then I found this company and her and I went back and forth in emails about all my concerns and I decided to go with her and very glad I did.

Don't be afraid to look at transport services I was very surprised at how reasonable the costs were vs my sanity and piece of mind.

sheroljax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meowmy Aprile...we are moving from FL to NC in a month and a halfew with 6 cats. About an 8 hour drive. What service did you use? I will probably move them with us but want to check. I'm really anxious about it because 2 of them are to ally neurotic and we can't even just walk up to them and pick them up. I have no idea how I will get them in carriers. I like the idea in previous posts about using catnip instead of drugging them.

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meowmy Aprile...we are moving from FL to NC in a month and a halfew with 6 cats. About an 8 hour drive. What service did you use? I will probably move them with us but want to check. I'm really anxious about it because 2 of them are to ally neurotic and we can't even just walk up to them and pick them up. I have no idea how I will get them in carriers. I like the idea in previous posts about using catnip instead of drugging them.
I used Coast 2 Coast Pet transport. If you want I can give you her email. Six of mine are former ferals so I understand the carrier issue. I laid the carriers out for about 2 weeks before I planned to have them picked up and fed them their treats in there 2xs a day. They got to the point they heard the treats they ran into their respective carrier. The transport service provides big carriers that they can get up and move around in and have their own litter box. I can not say enough good things about the service, while they were a bit stressed from the move into a new house they did fine on the way down. She has gps tracking you can watch exactly where she is and get text updates on how they are doing.

I had thought about transporting mine myself but mine was not a one day trip it was 2 days with an over night and I knew there was no way me and 8 cats in a hotel room were going to work. lol. 

tiffy n tigger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I will be traveling from MI to CA  with 2 cats and 2 dogs, and would love to know the details of your travels with 8 cats! 

Thanks,

Athena

jakoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great post!  My problem is I will soon need to travel AZ to WI with 4 cats, 3 of which are semi-feral.  They also don't all get along to well (they don't fight, but hiss) and one is FIV positive.  All will sleep on the bed with me and my two dogs, but are next to impossible to catch otherwise.  I have opted for the hard plastic carriers for in the car, but I would like to let them stretch their legs at the motel.  Does anyone have an idea for me to make or buy some type of playpens for them to be in at the motel.  I will need 2- 4 of them.  They need to be secure and I need to be able to catch the cat when it is time to leave.  I am planning on buying  4 - 23" X 15" carriers but the trip will take 3 days.  I can use the bathroom for one cat, but I will need to use it, too.  I will also be traveling with 2 - 50 lb dogs.

I traveled with 4 dogs and 3 tame cats before, but these cats being so wild are another story.  If they get away from me, they are gone.  No one will ever catch them to even call me.  I will be doing this alone.

auntymamma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband was in the military and we moved from Colorado to Georgia then a few years later from Georgia to New York. I have a 15 pounder and a 7lb. We purchased a dog crate and put both in with a regular litter box the first time and put it in the back of our suv. That was a little tight for both. On the next move, we put the 15lb cat in the dog crate with a small disposable cat box, the cardboard kind. And the smaller cat in a large cat carrier with a small litter box. They would not eat or drink while we drove so we did not put any water or food in since they would end up spilling it. They would use the litter box while driving. When we would stop, we would put some water in and they would drink a bit. My 15lb is scitso (sp?)
so we could not let him out while we were travelling. We were lucky to get him back in the crate at the hotels. But we made it... Hope this helps.
Hi! My husband is in Military and we have to move from Texas to Seattle. We are blessed with 6 cats. Just wondering how to take them there. Its 36 hours driving distance plus all those travel halts. Your post is very helpful. Just had a question. Where did you stay at night? If we have to stay in a hotel overnight, do you think they will allow these many cats inside the hotel? Thanks for any feedback!

ginnymiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see this is a rather old thread that has lasted a long time. I found it while searching online how to move long distance with cats, so now that I am done with my move I thought I'd just share my experience for others out there in the same situation. I recently moved from Northern California to Southeast Texas, just north of Houston. I took 3 1/2 days total to get there. I have two large indoor-only cats who are both seniors, and flying to my new home was not an option. My sister drove the moving truck while I drove my car, which is a 90's model Jeep Cherokee. The back seat folds down to create one large open cargo area behind the two front bucket seats. I did this to maximize space, and put each cat in a carrier large enough for them to comfortably lay down in and turn around. I set the carriers on top of several of those plastic tote boxes full of my things, so the cats could see me while I was driving, and have some fresh air circulation as well. I could easily reach behind my seat and touch them for reassurance. I made sure not to cram all kinds of stuff around their crates, just enough to make best use of the space without crowding them. I did not set out a litter box in the car, as I did not intend on letting them out of the crates until I got to my motel for the night. They both always react to a harness and leash as if someone is skinning them alive, so I didn't bother with that either. I did line their crates with puppy pads, and neither of them did their business in their crate the whole trip.

I had mixed feelings about giving them sedatives, so I decided against it. I did buy some treats in the pet store which contain natural ingredients (such as Chamomile) that are supposed to help them relax. But they wouldn't really eat enough of them regularly for me to say for sure if it mattered or not. Of course they did meow quite a bit when the trip first started. But they quickly got the hang of it, and as someone else here said, they seemed to go into a shut-down mode where they mostly just slept or relaxed in their boxes the whole time. When I would get to rest stops or gas stations I would try to give them water but they would barely touch it or not at all. Each night, I chose a town to stop for the night in which had a Motel 6, as they allow pets in the room. I was advised by my sister (who owns SEVEN dogs and has moved from Texas to California) to only tell them I had one pet, so that's what I did. The cats would of course sniff around and explore the hotel room awhile, then settle on the bed. One cat was mildly curious about the door, but both being indoor-only kitties, neither of them actually tried to make a break for it. The hotel room was the only place they would eat and drink. I had a covered litter box, which I would take apart for easy transportation. I kept a small amount of clean litter in the zippered bag it came in, along with the litter scoop and some doggy waste bags, so I could easily set up the box in the room for the night, clean it in the morning, and then break it all apart again for the drive.

When all was said and done, this wasn't nearly as hard and stressful on my cats as I thought it would be. I think the move was actually harder on me than it was on them. They just took it in stride, whereas I found myself snapping at nearly everyone who was helping me... heh. So really if I had to do a long move again someday (which is likely due to my job) I won't worry myself about my cats nearly as much as the first time. They are very resilient and great survivors. much greater than I gave them credit for. Anyways, that's my story. Hopefully it is helpful to someone reading out there. Good luck with your move.

Here is a photo of my boy kitty during the move, being silly resting his face against the crate door and giving me a friendly meow when I checked on him during a pit stop.