Mouse lockdown

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So not sure where to post this, but this looked like the right place. I worked late today and got home about 9 pm. The house was silent. The door to bedrooms And basement was closed. I could hear my older cat Lola meowing in the basement. I have two boys 5 year old and a 9 year old and if I’m home before bedtime it’s pretty busy. So figured it was around bedtime and missed them. But what was strange was that Lola was in the basement while they went to bed. We keep her down there when we have the kitten loose, but not at bedtime. So I txt my wife figuring she fell asleep putting kids to bed.

she replies “do you see it?”, Me-“Do I see what?”, wife-“the mouse….we were all watching TV when Lola came up from the basement with a live mouse in her mouth, we all screamed and jumped up on the sofa and chairs, Lola got startled and dropped the mouse ….but then realized she dropped the mouse and chased after it,looks like she caught it and went back down to basement. But am not sure she caught it again or just left because we freaked. So weclosed everything and decided it’s a good time to go to bed., what do you think?” Me-“I think Lola Loves you” haha

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my old cats, Talon, (had a heart attack at 3yo - genetic default) once caught a mouse and brought it to my bed. He let it go, it would run around my bed where he chased it. All while I was trying to sleep.
I didn't know what was going on at first, I could only feel him running back and forth across my bed. So I sat up, turned on my light and watched the Tom and Jerry movie going on. I felt so sorry for the mouse, it was so scared, but I couldn't stop laughing.
I finally did catch the poor thing and released it outside. Still laughing.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love your wife and kids' reaction! :thumbsup:

We bought a new dishwasher a number of years ago. After it was installed, I swore to my husband that I heard a mouse scratching around under the sink. "There is a rat in here," I told him. He laughed at me! It didn't help that every time he walked in the kitchen, it stopped scratching. The cats knew, though. One night, I saw it run behind the refrigerator and I decided it was time for a stakeout.

I got a flashlight and sat stooped down in the kitchen floor, with my three cats with me. I aimed it at the little space between the refrigerator and the cabinets. The cats and I were stealthy, motionless. We waited, breathless. Then, suddenly, the rat poked its head out from behind the refrigerator! I screamed and fell backward on my butt. Cats scattered everywhere! They all took off in different directions. The rat was never seen or heard from again. I think he was just happy to get away.

BTW, I use the words "mouse" and "rat" interchangeably. With my first crew of cats, I did rescue a huge field rat that they had surrounded. Poor thing. I waded in the middle of everyone and shooed them away so it could escape into the woods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love your wife and kids' reaction! :thumbsup:

We bought a new dishwasher a number of years ago. After it was installed, I swore to my husband that I heard a mouse scratching around under the sink. "There is a rat in here," I told him. He laughed at me! It didn't help that every time he walked in the kitchen, it stopped scratching. The cats knew, though. One night, I saw it run behind the refrigerator and I decided it was time for a stakeout.

I got a flashlight and sat stooped down in the kitchen floor, with my three cats with me. I aimed it at the little space between the refrigerator and the cabinets. The cats and I were stealthy, motionless. We waited, breathless. Then, suddenly, the rat poked its head out from behind the refrigerator! I screamed and fell backward on my butt. Cats scattered everywhere! They all took off in different directions. The rat was never seen or heard from again. I think he was just happy to get away.

BTW, I use the words "mouse" and "rat" interchangeably. With my first crew of cats, I did rescue a huge field rat that they had surrounded. Poor thing. I waded in the middle of everyone and shooed them away so it could escape into the woods.
I can relate to the stakeout as in the past I was hunting for a mouse that Lola is in the midst of chasing, trying to get it before Lola does as I do feel sorry for the little things. In fact I used to leave a box in a corner as a false safe place so it would go hide there and I can shut the box and take out and release.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's too bad cats liek to 'play' (torture) tehm for so long. i remember taking them away from my cats and tehy finally got smart, and gave the killing bite right when I walked up. They knew I was going to take it. But now I just reserve taking prey away when it is a bird or baby rabbit. That was after I saw how much damage those things do!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Our cats are indoor now so they don't hunt like they did when they were younger, but they do have a catio and occasionally a rodent gets in there, the cats grab it and bring it inside for play time.

We just caught a jumping mouse in the house--cute little things but they DO jump! Luckily we were able to trap it in a cardboard box and release it back outside.

J JavierG -- so did you find the mouse? :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cats are indoor now so they don't hunt like they did when they were younger, but they do have a catio and occasionally a rodent gets in there, the cats grab it and bring it inside for play time.

We just caught a jumping mouse in the house--cute little things but they DO jump! Luckily we were able to trap it in a cardboard box and release it back outside.

J JavierG -- so did you find the mouse? :)
No did not find the mouse even in basement. My hunch is somehow it got away. As Lola normally leaves dead mice in middle of the floor