Mother-in-Laws Cat Has Diabetes

jkulysses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet put him on Hill's W/D and said that he will be on this for life. At $25 per 10 lbs. bag it is very expensive. Is there anything else that will have the same or better effect at a cheaper price?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have your mom explain that she cant afford that food and does the vet have an altern ative... Purina I know makes a diebetic rx formula... I have heard of using non rx diets but only under a vets care..

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That site is great

If they speak to the vet there is lots of alternatives. Personally I found the Hill's made Scully's diabetes worse and we now use Innova Evo (with regular vet checks) without any problems and so far he doesn't need insulin shots. Innova however is close to the same price!

Lots of people have found that wellness canned is good for diabetic cats - but it involves a lot of trying the food for a while and measuring the blood glucose a few times a day to check which foods agree and which ones don't with each particular cat.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite site re feline diabetes is www.gorbzilla.com
I personally would not use any food that uses garlic, which one of the brands mentioned above, does.