More "traffic" than usual on TCS?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I find this mind-boggling - as I post, 45 people are active in the Lounge!!!!! No wonder there have been some problems with posting!

tak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All systems have been running fine for the past few days so there shouldn't be any problems posting. If you are having problems, please let me know.

Again, we are not going to crash again. In fact, what happened a while back was completely unrelated to the number of users the server was handling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TAK

All systems have been running fine for the past few days so there shouldn't be any problems posting. If you are having problems, please let me know.

Again, we are not going to crash again. In fact, what happened a while back was completely unrelated to the number of users the server was handling.
Thanks for the reassurances! I'm just amazed at the number of people online at times, because most members live in an entirely different time zone. I wonder how many are posting when I've long been in bed?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't visit till about 6 p.m. CET, which is 12 p.m. on the East Coast of North America - I guess a lot of people "check in" while they're at work!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I don't visit till about 6 p.m. CET, which is 12 p.m. on the East Coast of North America - I guess a lot of people "check in" while they're at work!
Truthfully, I'm here as much or more when I'm at work than when I'm at home. You're usually signing off for the night just as I'm leaving work to go home at 5 pm.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I think I should start a poll - "How many of you visit TCS while you're at work?" If you're self-employed, I can't picture any problem, but what about those who aren't? I could access TCS during a morning or lunch break with my employer's permission, but I don't take breaks, preferring to get home earlier.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I were t get caught accessing anything but company sites, I would get CANNED! Besides, my calls are so fast and furious, I don't have time to check in here, from work. On an average day, I handle approximately 200 calls.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I often get a lunch tray from the cafeteria and take it back to my office, so I can play on TCS, and it's not unusual for me to take a sanity break mid-morning or mid-afternoon on TCS rather than going out of the office (if I take a break at all). But other than that, it's evenings and weekends for me. No way I could be on all day in the office!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I think I should start a poll - "How many of you visit TCS while you're at work?" If you're self-employed, I can't picture any problem, but what about those who aren't? I could access TCS during a morning or lunch break with my employer's permission, but I don't take breaks, preferring to get home earlier.
Yup, it does make a difference! I'm self employed, but the amount of time that I spend online depends on what I'm doing.....if I'm running the front register, I'm just liable to be here all day, but if I'm sewing or tagging shoes, I only get a chance to check in about every 30 minutes or so, just to see what's up.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being admin in our office, my workload is feast or famine. I'm either slammed or I have nothing to do. Recently I was looking around for work for a full 3 weeks, then the next week I was slammed. They know I come on here, more than they would prefer I'm sure, but they would rather me sit at my desk and at least *look* like I'm working to those who walk into the office. They don't allow me to bring books or things like that to work, so online is the only option. When I started there, the whole place was so unorganized that I *always* had something I could work on, but in the 3+ years I've been there the place now runs very smoothly. There's only so much busy work I can do when I don't have work coming from the guys.
It's been like that in every office I've worked in...feast or famine.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My computer is on all day since I do all my writing on the computer, and I just check in when I need brain breaks from articles I am working on. I stay on late because of the time difference with Anne, her mornings start at 11:00 p.m. my time that's when we connect and really get work done on the sites. Plus I have clients all over the world so I do power naps during the day so I can connect with them in the wee hours of my morning- God Bless Starbucks it keeps me alert!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Your replies make a lot of sense. Several of my colleagues use the school computers (broadband, flat rate) before or after school, or during their lunch breaks, for personal surfing, because they have dial-up service at home, and pay by the minute. I have DSL and a volume rate of 3,000 MB per month at home, but I'm lucky enough to live in an area where broadband is available, so I can surf all I want, and rarely download more than 1,000 MB a month. Besides which, I don't like the idea of using the same computer(s) my students use, because that would give some computer whizzes the opportunity to "check up" on my private life.