Month Old Kitten With Bright Green Poop

alexaleveque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family adopted a kitten just a few days ago that had been left in a box on a friend-of-a-friend’s doorstep. Her name is Violet, she’ll be one month old tomorrow, & we’re currently bottle-feeding her goats milk. For the first two days that we had her, her poops were completely healthy and normal. On the third day, her poops had a bit of bloody mucus, and this morning her poops were normal. Her most recent poops, however have been completely bright green. She’s still eating normally, she’s not bloated, she’s still playful and lively, and doesn’t seem to be in any kind of pain. Just wondering if this is a sign to change what we’re feeding or how we’re feeding her or if it’s something to be concerned about.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goats milk is normally good. What brand do you use?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Green indicates a bacterial infection in her intestines. See the vet for antibiotics and she should be fine in no time! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexaleveque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ We just switched over from a powdered goats milk that her original foster gave us (I don’t know the brand) to Meyenberg evaporated goats milk

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Meyenbergs powdered is fine, I know rescuers whom prefers this brand.

Most brands of goats milk works fine. But I have heard about some polish breeders (!) whom were unhappy. After a while it become clear they all used one named brand...
So its possible to destroy even such an excellent product.

Raw goats milk is best even if it may be pricey. Has an edge in some situations.

Try to get some if you can. MAY help.

alexaleveque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice & kind wishes. She is going to the vet in an hour but her most recent poop looks a lot better on it’s own! Very runny but much less green. However, three days ago she was 7.4 oz, yesterday she was 6.9, and today she is 6.6, so she is losing a lot of weight very rapidly. We are still hoping for the best after the vet, will keep y’all posted.

alexaleveque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ We will definitely try to get some raw. Canned evaporated milk was our only option when she ran out of food last night, but we will try to find some after the vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Otherwise, buy powdered PetAg kitten formula. It agrees well with most kittens.

alexaleveque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, Violet is the baby in my pfp. She is a polydactyl (extra toe on each foot), and she is officially one month old today. She is the weight that our other kittens were at just a week, but until now she has not been significantly underweight. She just has an extremely stunted growth and small frame. But this does mean that she is very fragile and some kind of illness could have a much more extreme impact on her. Though she just came to us a few days ago, we have already developed a very strong bond and attachment to her. She is truly unlike any other kitten I have ever met. She’s very independent, even for her young age and tiny size, very smart, and possibly the most affectionate cat ever. She has a pointy elf nose and bent ears. Her eye is a bit wonky. She’s the cutest thing ever and we love her very much. We are hoping so hard for the best but we don’t know her history before being abandoned in a box and we know that it can be hard to save orphan kitties. All the advice and kind wishes really are so appreciated. Thank you. (Just in case anyone wanted to know more about her ♡)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With such a runny poo you mention its wise to give some extra salts.
Perhaps flavorless pedialyte for children somewhat diluted.

Or use rice water from overboiled white rice mix with some a minerale water. You see on the label if it contains different salts.

Good you are going to the vet - uts really a vet errand.

alexaleveque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just got back from the vet! No trace of worms or bacterial infection in her stool! The vet said the most likely cause of her sudden drop in weight and change in stool is her body adjusting to the new food. Only “bad” news was that she was mildly dehydrated. We have 5 rounds of antibiotics and dewormer just in case, but she seems okay. All we can do is keep feeding her & hope she gains that weight back quickly. Thank you everyone for the advice and good vibes sent her way. Will update if anything changes. ♡

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she still having green poop?

Is she on the antibiotics and dewormer now?

alexaleveque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very sorry I didn’t update, I’ve had a busy month. She’s completely fine now. We went to the vet & got some antibiotics and dewormer and her poop started to normalize the day after. She’s now 2 months old today and still extremely small but pretty healthy and spunky. Thank you all for the advice & concern!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yay, so glad Violet’s doing well. Some cats just grab you by the heart. It sounds like she’s one of those.