mom cat keeps coughing

faizanx7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm seriously worried it has been doing this for 2 days.
there are no vets around my area. what should i do? does anybody know what this is ?
8 November 2022

she isn't coughing all day though, and when she isn't coughing she appears perfectly fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

faizanx7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so she's still eating? Maybe something here might help, if it's a stuck hairball
12 Natural Home Remedies For Cat Hairballs That Actually Work • 2022 Ruffle Snuffle
yes she does seem to be eating but there seems to be one more problem
click this link to see the video
8 November 2022

she has some black marks on her mouth? i dont know how she got those at all. She was a stray kitten when i adopted her.Some cat gave kittens at my house so i kept her and her brother.
She then soon had 5 kittens in my house and im raising all of them.
I love her to death and i would do anything for her

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
We are not vets, but the black spots could be lentigo. These are harmless, benign spots that often appear on orange or lighter colored cats, especially when they are young. I am not saying to ignore them, but if veterinary care is difficult to find in your area just keep an eye on them that they do not start to bleed or change shape or size.

Is there any sign that the cough could be respiratory? Mucus, sneezing, runny eyes? I agree that trying hairball remedies is a good plan

faizanx7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are not vets, but the black spots could be lentigo. These are harmless, benign spots that often appear on orange or lighter colored cats, especially when they are young. I am not saying to ignore them, but if veterinary care is difficult to find in your area just keep an eye on them that they do not start to bleed or change shape or size.

Is there any sign that the cough could be respiratory? Mucus, sneezing, runny eyes? I agree that trying hairball remedies is a good plan
she does sneez but not that often, i havent seen mucus is there any other more evident symptom?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In a more advanced case, you might see lack of appetite, fever, or mouth sores. Sneezing can be from an allergic reaction to something or even dust up her nose, depending what she is getting into.

faizanx7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In a more advanced case, you might see lack of appetite, fever, or mouth sores. Sneezing can be from an allergic reaction to something or even dust up her nose, depending what she is getting into.
i did check for fever she seems perfectly fine no fever at all

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
As I said, we are not vets; however, any cat I have had who developed a URI went on to very obvious signs, so there was no question that an infection was present.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coughing can be symptom of asthma or allergies. Asthma, in particular, can often look like a cat is trying to get rid of a hairball... but nothing comes out. These sorts of coughing tends to come and go; the cat will seem fine between coughing episodes. One of our cats has had mild coughing episodes: she now has two medications, an inhaler for asthma and a cream for her allergies. The medications keep her symptoms to a minimum.

Is there any way you can get your cat to a vet, F faizanx7 ? Cats are often diagnosed with asthma by x-ray.

The brief video you linked to sounded milder than our cat's asthmatic coughing, which was more hacking. There are lots of videos about feline asthma online here: asthma cat cough - Google Search

I hope you're able to get her examined!

Vancat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm seriously worried it has been doing this for 2 days.
there are no vets around my area. what should i do? does anybody know what this is ?
8 November 2022

she isn't coughing all day though, and when she isn't coughing she appears perfectly fine.
Did you ever figure out what it was? My cat has been having a very similar cough. He is getting an X ray on Tuesday.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you ever figure out what it was? My cat has been having a very similar cough. He is getting an X ray on Tuesday.
I hope the appointment goes well and your vet can offer you good treatment options if your cat turns out to have asthma. Our vet offered us the option of "wait and watch" since Ireland's asthma was fairly mild but the vet is very big on prevention so I think she was relieved when we chose the inhaler (Flovent/Flixotide, a preventive inhaler)!

faizanx7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She got very sick, took her to a general veteranian , he gave her an injection and she slowly became well again, on the other hand he all of my smaller kitens started coughing too, however they stopped on their own, i took the one kitten that was having the most problem with coughing to that vet and he got more sick instead and was the last one to recover , so i cant really say but experience would be helpful for u, the vets in my country are mostly inexperienced or general, and dont really know too much so i dont trust them, hopefully u have a better vet in ur area so u dont have to worry