Mom and Babies help

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a mom and 2 kittens (I'm guessing 5-6 weeks old) that were dumped off in a friends driveway. I've brought them in my house in the spare bedroom. They immediately ate and went to sleep. The mom concerns me. She walks slow but doesn't limp and could barely jump on the bed to get comfortable. She's slept since I brought her home 6 hours ago. In fact, she barely lifts her head off the bed when I go I to check on them. Mom is very grateful for being here. She's skin and bones. Do you think she's just exhausted due to the fact her kittens have been trying to nurse and she has no nutrients in her system to feed them beside the fact she was starving, cold and probably has had no sleep for who knows how long? Or could this be something else and maybe I should take her to the vet? I've never had a mom and kittens before. Help

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please get the family to the vet quickly. First thing in the morning if you can't afford ER clinic care tonight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that I have 3 cats of my own so that's why there isolated in the bedroom. Once the "guests" are gone, should I throw bowls and litterbox away. Can my cats catch anything from them without physical contact?

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her and the kittens in to the vets to be checked out ASAP.If she is skin and bones then yes that could be some of the cause of her weakness. It could also be many other things. She does need a good check up by your vet ,if you can't get her to a vet tonight.. make sure she has all she wants to eat and water and keep her and the kittens warm.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MNJULZ

I forgot to mention that I have 3 cats of my own so that's why there isolated in the bedroom. Once the "guests" are gone, should I throw bowls and litterbox away. Can my cats catch anything from them without physical contact?
Yes...that is why until this cat is seen by a vet you should wash your hands thouroughly and change clothes before you interact with your own cats. Anytime I volunteer at the feral cat clinic, I do not interact with my own cats until I have changed cloths and taken a shower.

As Hissy recommended, please take this cat in to be seen by a vet.

BTW..thank you for caring for this mom and her kittens!!

Katie