Moist Food Slow Feeder?

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know there are kibble slow feeders, but is there one that can be used for moist? Athena likes to scarf and barf with moist, even if I try giving her a small amount at a time.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There aren't many slow feeders for wet food, and they're all basically the same idea - maze-type ridges in the bowl that make it harder to bolt the food. These are a few I found on amazon.

There are a couple of tricks you can try to slow Athena's eating too. The first is to take a smaller bowl, cup or eggcup (depending on her bowl size) and place it upside down in her bowl before you add the food. This works best with a heavier upturned cup/bowl - you don't want her to be able to remove it/push it out of the way ;)

Another trick (this works best with paté style food) is to take a dinner plate and spread the food over it in a thin layer (think buttering bread). This will force her to lick the food up in small amounts, rather than taking big mouthfulls of it.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't have this problem. He has a smaller bowl with small amount of food but is fed 4-5 times per day. My dog, however, does occasionally scarf-n-barf. He has a few kibble with a lot of moist food in a bowl. What I do is put a clean Kong ball on top of his food so he would have this little barricade that prevents him from getting access to all of his food all at once.