Mixing Protein Sources

lindamh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I began making raw food 20+ yrs ago, the idea of mixing protein sources was something 'very bad'.  The logic being a cat would only eat one type of prey at a time.

I'm seeing more recipes that 'allow' mixing of proteins, usually poutlry with poutlry and red meat with read meat.  The logic being it's more important to get the nutrients than it is to seperate the proteins.

What do you guys do and think?  Mix buffalo with beef, because I can't get buffalo heart?  Mix pork in with chicken because it's cheap and evens fat?  Or not???

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally don't see anything wrong with mixing proteins. In fact, if I want one of my cats to have any red meat, it has to be fed with poultry, because he can't keep down a meal that is only red meat.

I "get" the concept of modeling their natural diet... but I think for the most part we're using such unnatural inputs - even though fed raw - in the end, it's the nutrients and the form in which they're presented that matters more than being a "purist" about not mixing proteins.

I can source beef kidney. I'm not going to feed it only with beef muscle meat.

My cats don't seem to have any gastric issues when I feed a meal of chicken gizzard with chicken liver and beef kidney. :dk:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally don't see anything wrong with mixing proteins. In fact, if I want one of my cats to have any red meat, it has to be fed with poultry, because he can't keep down a meal that is only red meat.

I "get" the concept of modeling their natural diet... but I think for the most part we're using such unnatural inputs - even though fed raw - in the end, it's the nutrients and the form in which they're presented that matters more than being a "purist" about not mixing proteins.

I can source beef kidney. I'm not going to feed it only with beef muscle meat.

My cats don't seem to have any gastric issues when I feed a meal of chicken gizzard with chicken liver and beef kidney. :dk:
:yeah:

Same here - in fact..... I never even thought about that being a negative - on the contrary..... I mix proteins SO much! If you count the organs then every meal. But I mix red and white meats, hearts with another muscle.... I keep it interesting and within what they can digest (some of them can't deal with 100% red meat) :nod:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've never thought it to be a problem. Only one of mine eats an exclusively homemade diet, but she's decided she doesn't like chicken. So I have to mix it with beef or pork. And when I make my ground raw mix, I just throw anything I got on sale into it :tongue2:. And since certain organs are difficult to get from some animals (even seen chicken kidneys in a store? I haven't :lol3:), I don't see any way around it really.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I almost always mix proteins and organs from different animals. I figure they're getting the micro/macronutrients of one animal that might not be available from the other.
And right now with Ritz' stomach problems, at dinner time I don't dare feed her red meat before feeding her at least some white meat; she may throw it up.

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The pre-mixes that use powdered chicken or beef liver are probably used on the full range of proteins as well.

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always mix.  My cats seem to like it that way.  In fact, I combine raw and home-cooked at most meals.  Last night's dinner was half raw ground turkey, mixed with chicken liver and Alnutrin, and half cooked ground elk, mixed with chicken liver and Alnutrin.  I also served a chicken heart on the side.  Plates are licked clean with never a stomach problem. 

Another cat is no longer eating raw and he eats food prepared just for him, but he too likes the combo plate.    Keeps life interesting. 

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I always mix.  My cats seem to like it that way.  In fact, I combine raw and home-cooked at most meals.  Last night's dinner was half raw ground turkey, mixed with chicken liver and Alnutrin, and half cooked ground elk, mixed with chicken liver and Alnutrin.  I also served a chicken heart on the side.  Plates are licked clean with never a stomach problem. 

Another cat is no longer eating raw and he eats food prepared just for him, but he too likes the combo plate.    Keeps life interesting. 
I do that too with Dexter.  He eats raw, but I have cans on hand from when I was transitioning Boo from kibble and searching for what canned food she would like - so at times he'll get a meal of beef/lamb combo, with a dollop of some chicken canned that Boo turned her nose up at.  I tried some cooked home made...meh, she didn't like that either.

When I'm feeling generous, I top it off with a dehydrated duck heart.

Ooooh...can I crow about my latest purchase?  A whole, 6 lb duck produced in Canada for $2.50 a lb!