Mice?

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've discovered that my kitten absolutely loves eating mice. So, I'm thinking of breeding them myself to cut down on the cost of buying them. I just wondered if anyone here also breeds them for their cats?

If so, what is your set up?

I plan to feed mainly mice and add in a bit of liver, kidney, chicken wing, steak, heart etc, whatever is on offer or left over from our dinner (uncooked of course)

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've bred mice for 5 years or so to feed my snakes, ferrets and cat.  I got a rodent rack used off someone which is much easier to clean than the aquariums I was mainly using, you can use tubs and totes with a little adjustment although some mice will chew through them.  There are plans for DIY racks with concrete mixing tubs as well if you are handy or know someone who is.  I use wood pellets for bedding and have my friends and family collect paper towel rolls, drink holders, egg cartons, anything cardboard chewable for enrichment/hiding places.  A little aspen orhredded paper for nests.  You can make your own feed mix or buy lab blocks in bulk, most people use mazuri 6f or harlan teklad/native earth. 

Getting them started and breeding well can take a bit and it is a lot of work cleaning them out every few days, mice reek, bedding is heavy, creates a lot of waste.  For one cat it may be more cost effective to just order mice in bulk, I am downsizing my breeding as I only have one ferret left, 2 snakes on mice and the cat.  I run 2 females per cage and rotate my males through, giving a 2 week break between litters. 

You also can't feed just mice, you need several proteins 3-4 at minimum but if you feed a lot of mice you would want to factor that in before adding more organ meat.  If I give more than 2 mice per day my cat throws up hairballs so I usually give a couple as a meal several times per week.  I stock up on whole chickens and game hens whenever they are on sale and get the rest of my cat's meat from hare today. 

Breeders in the rack, males in the smaller fish tanks, growouts in the large white tote, green tote holds my wood pellets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply.

I do plan to feed other proteins as well but I'd like to use mainly mice. My kitten doesn't particularly like minces but I do plan on adding chicken, beef, duck, lamb etc.

I've looked at ordering mice in bulk but the delivery is so expensive. I may look into it again.

I currently have a hamster so have all the substrate and bedding etc. would just need the enclosures and food. My boyfriend used to breed mice for his snakes and doesn't seem to think it will be too much work!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I briefly considered the possibility of breeding feeder mice.

Once I started Googling, I was surprised by the intricacies of the task.  Seems like it would be so easy, but when you really start looking at it, it is a lot of work. 

Mice breed fast, so keeping track of the genetic lines becomes a project on its own.

Besides genetics, you also need to be on guard for illnesses and infections.

Then there is the question of what you are going to feed them, considering that what you feed the mice will travel in the food chain to your cats.

Most mice also need certain environmental conditions to breed well; humidity and heat are big factors.  Unless, of course, you are working with a local breed that is accustomed to your area.  For me to do it, I would need nearly constant a/c and humidifiers, which would just destroy the cost effectiveness of the effort.

All that being said, if you have the time and patience to do it, all the power to ya! 

You might even be able to make a little side mulah at it.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keeping track of the genetics is definitely something I'm thinking about. I'd bring in different males to prevent inbreeding and I'm going to try and get unrelated females.

Living in the uk, temperature and humidity wouldn't be a problem. I'd feed the best food that I can to the mice and include fresh veggies too.

I think my boyfriend is hoping that if we end up with too many mice for the cat to keep up with, we can sell them!