Meowing a lot after sedation

Rhodope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3-year-old kitty Hank had to be sedated for his annual exam and vaccine today, and after several hours back home he is up and about. Aside from pacing around a lot, he has been meowing off and on fairly continuously. Otherwise he seems all right. Anybody else had experiences with pacing and vocalizing post-sedation? I am just a nervous Nelly but I would welcome any thoughts. Thanks.

1695941242540.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Nice pic of Hank! I am guessing he is still feeling some effects of the sedation and is pretty much complaining to you about it. I would speculate he is still a bit 'buzzed' so to speak. It should wear off, and as long as he is acting alright otherwise, you should see this behavior diminishing over the coming hours. He may also be vocalizing about his displeasure over the whole vet visit too - which will also dissipate with time.

Just keep an eye on him and let us know how he is doing later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhodope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Nice pic of Hank! I am guessing he is still feeling some effects of the sedation and is pretty much complaining to you about it. I would speculate he is still a bit 'buzzed' so to speak. It should wear off, and as long as he is acting alright otherwise, you should see this behavior diminishing over the coming hours. He may also be vocalizing about his displeasure over the whole vet visit too - which will also dissipate with time.

Just keep an eye on him and let us know how he is doing later.
Hi everyone, just to give an update on Hank. He walked around meowing for part of last evening but eventually the vocalizing got less and less. He finally settled down on a cat tower and went to sleep. He did eat supper with a voracious appetite--normally he does not finish all his wet food, but he actually wanted more. Things were quiet overnight. When I got up this morning he was sitting at the bottom of the staircase staring fixedly upstairs, one of his sister kitties was sitting staring at him, and the other girl kitty was under the bed. All that mewing and pacing seemed to have put them all in a kerfluffle but they all ate breakfast and went to sleep. When I came home just now this afternoon seems like things are back to normal. I think the combination of the trauma of going to the vet and getting a shot combined with the effects of the sedation just hit him hard and it took time to get over it. Thanks for your thoughts FeebysOwner and thanks for the :redheartpump: white shadow!