Memorial Day dinner

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
For us, as with many Americans, Memorial Day is the official start of summer. We're looking forward to a nice Monday. I don't know if we'll get the pool opened or not as it's become difficult to find chemicals.

But I have our menu figured out. We already bought our steaks and wings; all I need to do is get them out of the freezer on Sunday. It will be an easy day because most of this can be prepared the night before.

Grilled Delmonicos
Louisville Wings
Rick's Mom's Broccoli Salad
Rick's Mom's Baked Beans
Garlic-Parm Rolls
Lemon Meringue Pie
Iced Tea and Lemonade

What are your plans for your Memorial Day dinner?

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Early last week, I sent out all of the information on my Uncle Eugene, who was lost in B-17 in 1943.
The information and images went to my five siblings and two older niece/nephew. They will share it with the younger (under 35) nieces and nephews by Memorial Day. I offered to have the digital images printed up for any of those who ask.

My father retired from Navy and has passed away. He and Eugene had a depression era upbringing and beans were a staple at their tables. This continued in my youth, and as adults we frequently had beans for my father's Birthday dinners. So I'm thinking a can of beans with chili will be good for Memorial Day to reflect on my Uncle Eugene's sacrifice.
Eugene_Darter_USA-AF_SSgt320.jpg

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
bear bear your post made me tear up. My dad also served in the war during that time and was very proud of his service. :salute: Thankfully he returned home safely. Although he hadn't met my mom yet and I hadn't been born I've grown up hearing his stories about all his comrades. The next time I eat beans, which is at least once a week, I will think of your father and Uncle Eugene.:heartshape:

We haven't decided what we're having for dinner on Memorial Day but since our grill bit the dust it won't be barbecue. I think we may even order out.