Megacolon ?

Aberesford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.

My cat Marley is only 6 but the vet thinks he may have megacolon. He's constipated but the strange thing is he's eating and drinking normally and seems fine in himself. Just doing normal cat things.

Has anyone else encountered this ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aberesford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Iams hairball plus some verbac for digestion problems plus a quality wet food, Sheba.

Aberesford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Iams hairball plus some verbac for digestion problems plus a quality wet food, Sheba.
I'm in England btw. He was at the vet overnight and hardly ate but couldn't stop eating when he got home. There doesn't seem anything wrong with him other than not pooing.

Aberesford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I will do that and see if it helps.

Aberesford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope it goes ok. I'm taking Marley for an x ray tomorrow. The vet also said he has an unusually small anus so it's difficult for him at the best of times. There may be problems with pelvic bones too, but he's in no discomfort at all which is the really strange thing.

Aberesford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this morning I checked his tray. He'd peed but no poo. But as lively as ever. Jumping on the bed and windowsills. For a cat that's not pood hardly a thing for 3 days that doesn't make sense. He's now at the vet for an x rsy.

Aberesford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said he's reached the limit of poo his colon can take but not yet at megacolon stage. There are no pelvic injuries and while his anus is narrow there's no apparent reason for this. He's been going for the 5 years I've had him. They're trying to get some more poo out and there's another drug they can order that's had some success. Other than that it would mean opening him up. If I knew that would cure it for the future then ok. But having him put to sleep, however heartbreaking, would be a possibility sadly but I won't entertain that idea yet.

Aberesford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet rang again. Not good for him but a relief for me. He got a heck of a lot out. Almost an explosion. Marley's a long haired cat and grooms a lot. The poo was clogged with hair.

The bill will hurt but that's fine. I think Marley just needs a haircut.

💗

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am glad that you got some relief....for both of you. It is exactly what I suspect, to the letter, is going on with my cat. Long haired, does not want to be brushed (locking myself in the bathroom with her with raptor gloves on), self grooms, otherwise eats and seems fine.