Maybe a Breakthrough

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before the crash I had threads up about the colony that I've been caring for since about spring 2003. The colony population is now five males and five females -- all neutered or spayed. In addition there are abandoned and free-roaming males who visit often.

I've had a lot of setbacks because of the anti-cat atmosphere I've been dealing with. This is a sr./disabled housing project. The colony lives in the garden. Management still thinks it can solve the stray cat problem by not feeding them and prohibits residents from feeding. A couple of us do anyway.

Population control by killing the tiny kittens as soon as they're born was practiced by either a resident or maybe more. I know the Great Mother Cat was so desparate to raise her kittens that she gave birth to two litters on the roof of a second-story apartment building -- successfully raising them.

Her daughter's litters were (l) wet by a garden hose and left to die and (2) separated from their mom and tossed to the bottom of stairs leading to the building where I live. Even though I rescued them and found a foster mother for them, three of the four died.

Not long before that two males that were not part of the colony, but often ate the leftover food after the colony was fed, were shot with a BB gun or air rifle and their poor little bodies left just outside the fence of the sr. buildings.

One of the colony females disappeared in September 2003.

I've tried to provide shelters for the cats, but twice they were thrown away by someone unknown. Both times I cried for weeks I got so discouraged.

Now, just recently, I heard the story that one resident actually caught red-handed another resident using a sling-shot to shoot the cats. She confronted him and called The Humane Society according to rumors -- which I haven't checked out yet, but I pray they are true.

If true, this is the first time anyone has challenged the anti-cat atmosphere that has prevailed -- and I hope the shooter is given some sort of legal threat or fear.

I just need to vent and hopefully find others to cheer on my efforts to care for these little cats in spite of the opposition I've received. It is frustrating and depressing to have to work so hard on a situation that could be handled easily if not for the human opposition.

buckeye23

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's horrible what happened to those kittens and the rest of the colony! I certainly hope that the anti-cat atmostphere you're living in and around is indeed in the process of changing.

Good luck to you. From what I read, you are definitely not alone in your love for the colony there. Keep your chin up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I think I may be able to recruit an old guy that I used to think was a "guilty party" into helping me make permanent shelters for the kitties outside.

Thanks for your encouragement.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how you've persevered this far! Keep up the great work. You are these babies' hero
!!!!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, but I do have help, I just feel like the problem is bigger than just feeding and sheltering the cats outside -- it is the attitudes I encounter.

During the last rainstorms I put out boxes for them and locked the place I put them. I went out one afternoon when it was pouring very hard and they were all empty! I don't know where they went to keep dry. I suspect under the generator. I had to laugh at myself for worrying so much when they had their own ways.

jalapeno

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have such a big heart Katie, keep up with what you're doing! Maybe you can round up some compassionate neighbors to help with what you've started.

In time, justice will be served for these cruel people who think they're doing the right thing of abusing helpless creatures!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps your compassionate neighbors and you can use a technique that my father found sucessful. When their senior trailer park was sold, the new management was very anti-cat and anti-small dog and would set out "humane traps", trap the animal, and then not release the animal. The neighbors tried to monitor the traps. Anyway, one poor "Morris-type" tomcat was trapped in a locked yard and perished without food or water in the scorching Southern California summer. The manager ignored the frantic phonecalls of the resident, the local ASPCA & the sheriff's office were unable to respond in time & the managers disposed of the deceased cat before authorities arrived. The manager was very smug & triumphant when confronted by the neighbors, who were devastated. So, anyway, my father told him, " You know, there is a God and He does know what's going on! And I do know this, someday you will be at the gate of Death, and you know who's going to be the last face you see? It will be the face of that cat, and you will beg for that cat's forgiveness. And God will remind you that the mercy that you showed that cat is the exact mercy that Heaven will show you!" At the time, the manager just laughed. Anyway, months later,the manager, although only in his 40's, had a severe heart attack and, sure enough, while in I.C.U., was haunted by that cat. He was so distraught that his wife called my father from the hospital to talk to her husband. My father refused, because he felt that he couldn't say anything comforting because he couldn't stop thinking about the cat. The manager has recovered, but last I heard he was still having nightmares about the cat. The plus side of this is that the manager has had a change of heart, no longer traps the cats and has confessed to neighbors to other incidents, including getting rid of a couple of the neighbors' small dogs (these people have small fenced yards that their animals are allowed to be outside in) that he considered annoying. Unfortunately, the local authorities lacked the time and manpower to take the case further. It's been several years now, and the neighbors still talk about the incidents. Sometimes it pays to remind mean people of the dubious rewards of cruelty, and what can & does happen.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That's an amazing story. It's awful that it took a life-threatening illness to reach this man's conscience.

In this case, I now know the name and address of the man who "shot" the cats. I put it in quotation marks, because it turned out to be a slingshot with marbles that was used. This horrible man bragged about it to neighbors. Finally he was caught, slingshot in hand and reported to the humane society. I don't know the legalities but the Humane Society has investigated and fined this man $500. That seems very insubstantial to me, but it's a lot better than nothing at all.

I'm still not sure who has taken the shelters I built for my little colony cats. I wish I knew and I wish management would realize that trap-neuter-return is the only viable answer to stray cats.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalapeno

You have such a big heart Katie, keep up with what you're doing! Maybe you can round up some compassionate neighbors to help with what you've started.

In time, justice will be served for these cruel people who think they're doing the right thing of abusing helpless creatures!
Thank you this means a lot coming from you with your big heart for saving little homeless and disabled cats. I love your little motley crew!