Mass in brain, should I even consider raw diet?

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello forum,

My 6 year old has been diagnosed with possible brain tumor. Mass is located in brain stem so biopsy and surgery is not an option. Him and his brother has always been on commercial wet/dry/freeze dried. Am reconsidering raw maybe partial but read about how cancer + raw doesnt mix. Another caveat is the 6 year old is very picky I dont even know if he will touch raw food but Im willing to try.

Any experience/insight with this scenario? Thanks for sharing.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not use raw because of possible bacteria. A healthy cat could fight off the bad bacteria

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the well cat, feed whatever you think is best. If you want to feed raw or organic foods, go ahead if he'll eat it.

For the sick cat, feed whatever he'll eat and don't worry so much. It's more important that a sick cat eats. Eating the food that he's used to, even if it's not the "best" food in the world, is better than him not eating at all.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
@caspemakes a good point feed whatever he will eat but as a precaution raw only if nothing else works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advices.

I have been trying different foods with him and he is just so hard to please. We finally landed on Nulo mousse he seems to like it most but will still walk away at times sighhhhh.

For sure I will feed him whatever he will eat, and if he will eat something that will make his body stronger that will be the best scenario. That's why I was thinking raw, I was just unsure if raw at this time is the right choice.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about that...have you discussed prognosis with the vet? Also definitely worth discussing whether the vet considers the cat to be immune compromised. If so, then yeah, introducing raw may not be a good idea.

I would feed the cat whatever he is willing to eat. Forcing a change in diet now would only add stress. Perhaps you could start with raw or lightly cooked meat treats? Whole Life freeze dried chicken or turkey is like crack to my cats. Another option is to try your cat on lightly cooked pieces of chicken or whatever meat he likes from the grocery. Make sure the meat is fresh and doesn't stink, and start with small pieces. If he likes that, you can try slowly incorporating a supplement mix like EZ Complete. e.g. start with just a tiny pinch of the stuff. I love that mix for convenience but it took my cats quite a while to get used to it.

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neurologist has said whether it is cancer or infection (since we cant do biopsy due to location) prognosis is poor. Not something anyone wants to hear. It is now a week later (knock on wood) I am seeing improvement with his energy and mobility. What I am worried about is he is showing improvements only because of the medications, which I was told cannot be used long term....

Thanks for all the suggestions Sophie1, i really appreciate it. He is so picky/finicky it is just hard to find something he will consistently like. I have not heard of Whole Life I will look it up. I have bought 3 different freeze dried now, stella, feline natural, and northwest natural and he is not having any of them lol. My other cat would eat almost anything so at least I am not wasting the food.

I have heard about the EZ product line, any good?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has IBD. Unfortunately her prednisolone is long term until a cure is discovered for ibd. At least her amount is small.

Last edited:

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey maggie, this cat has all sorts of issue. Before he was diagnosed with having a mass in the brain, all of the vets i brought him to said his lethargy is due to ibd. So it is hard to say, but probably he has ibd as well as a tumor.

hmmm, maybe the prednisone is also helping with his ibd? Thanks for bringing that up i have to check with vet.

i didnt think prednisone can be taken long term, wouldnt there be side effects?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It shouldn't be taken long term but sometimes that cannot be avoided. I am trying to find other ways

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Neurologist has said whether it is cancer or infection (since we cant do biopsy due to location) prognosis is poor. Not something anyone wants to hear. It is now a week later (knock on wood) I am seeing improvement with his energy and mobility. What I am worried about is he is showing improvements only because of the medications, which I was told cannot be used long term....

Thanks for all the suggestions Sophie1, i really appreciate it. He is so picky/finicky it is just hard to find something he will consistently like. I have not heard of Whole Life I will look it up. I have bought 3 different freeze dried now, stella, feline natural, and northwest natural and he is not having any of them lol. My other cat would eat almost anything so at least I am not wasting the food.

I have heard about the EZ product line, any good?
I used to cook ground meat and add ezcomplete and water. Too much work and a tiny refrigerator. My cat did love it.

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you maggie

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello forum,

My 6 year old has been diagnosed with possible brain tumor. Mass is located in brain stem so biopsy and surgery is not an option. Him and his brother has always been on commercial wet/dry/freeze dried. Am reconsidering raw maybe partial but read about how cancer + raw doesnt mix. Another caveat is the 6 year old is very picky I dont even know if he will touch raw food but Im willing to try.

Any experience/insight with this scenario? Thanks for sharing.
He's 6 years old and he already has cancer? It's sad, but I'm not entirely shocked. You are what you eat. Think about it. If most of what you eat is low-quality food with cancer-causing ingredients, you're more likely to get cancer or other health problems at a younger age the longer you stay on that diet. Any pet food that's less than human-grade quality has alarming ingredients- for example, road kill, and parts of euthanized animals whose bodies were riddled with cancer tumors!

Go for the human-grade raw diet, but be sure you're getting one that's completely nutritionally balanced. I recommend Raw Dog Food & Co. based on my cat's experience with them. Feeding Charts - Raw Dog Food and Company

This video is about dogs, yes, but the information is helpful for cat owners as well:

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello BoaztheAdventureCat, yes it is sad pet food manufacturer thinks it is okay to give our pets food that is detrimental to their health, it is infuriorating! I recently watched a documentary called Pet Fooled, you might be interested.

I have considered cooking my own food but with a picky cat, especially now a sick one, i am really left with limited choices. I once bought chicken and beef from the supermarket, went home, prepared the food for my two cats, they both walked away, even my chubby eat anything cat. Maybe I havent found the right recipe, not sure, i probably will try another small batch and see.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's 6 years old and he already has cancer? It's sad, but I'm not entirely shocked. You are what you eat. Think about it. If most of what you eat is low-quality food with cancer-causing ingredients, you're more likely to get cancer or other health problems at a younger age the longer you stay on that diet. Any pet food that's less than human-grade quality has alarming ingredients- for example, road kill, and parts of euthanized animals whose bodies were riddled with cancer tumors!

Go for the human-grade raw diet, but be sure you're getting one that's completely nutritionally balanced. I recommend Raw Dog Food & Co. based on my cat's experience with them. Feeding Charts - Raw Dog Food and Company

This video is about dogs, yes, but the information is helpful for cat owners as well:
This has always confused me, greatly. My dog died of cancer. He was fed raw, not just raw but everything was pasture raised and/or organic. I sourced his food with an incredibly picky eye and included a lot of variety. Yet, he still got cancer. I have been feeding raw for years, and I've lost 4 raw-fed pets to cancer. I also take care of pets for a living. A few years ago we were taking care of two 17 year old dogs, litter mates, about 50 pounds each. They ate Purina semi-moist, full of sugars and dyes. They were in excellent health for their age. There has to be something more to it than diet IMO.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmm so having mine 7 yrs old must mean I shouldn't eat like a kid. Age has no affect. I got a 5 week old kitten that had a tumor

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This has always confused me, greatly. My dog died of cancer. He was fed raw, not just raw but everything was pasture raised and/or organic. I sourced his food with an incredibly picky eye and included a lot of variety. Yet, he still got cancer. I have been feeding raw for years, and I've lost 4 raw-fed pets to cancer. I also take care of pets for a living. A few years ago we were taking care of two 17 year old dogs, litter mates, about 50 pounds each. They ate Purina semi-moist, full of sugars and dyes. They were in excellent health for their age. There has to be something more to it than diet IMO.
Same here. My friend told me her moms cats eat cheap grocery store brands and lived til after 20.